#1 Jerky Recipe - Venison Jerky Recipe Competition

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by Rut-n-Strut, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Rut-n-Strut

Rut-n-Strut 8 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    Owen County
    I recently tested 4 jerky recipes to find mine and my family's favorite. The testing included: Hi-Mountain Jerky Seasoning (Hickory), a variation of the Kentucky Afield Marinade, an Apple Cider Vinegar Marinade, and a Homemade Sweet and Heat Marinade. I smoked them with pecan wood and then dehydrated them.

One of them surprised me with how well it tasted and another is a can't miss. I'd love to hear your feedback or if you have a great Go-To Jerky Recipe!

Chip's Outdoor Channel.jpg Chip's Outdoor Channel (1).jpg Chip's Outdoor Channel (2).jpg

2. rlb165

rlb165 12 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Dude, I’ve never seen anybody slice meat that fast!!
    Good video.
    When I make jerky like you made in the video (sliced) I like ALLEGRO marinade. Walmart has it. There’s 2 flavors, but I don’t remember what they are. They’re both good though.

I just made a batch using deer burger and a jerky gun. The seasoning I used is CON YEAGER, teriyaki flavor. I got it from Rural King. I only mixed in about half as much seasoning as they recommend, and I thought it was perfect.

3. Rut-n-Strut

Rut-n-Strut 8 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    Owen County
    haha I sliced it so fast I made music!

I've always made it with slices. I'd like to try it with the gun though. I'll be on the lookout for that marinade and seasoning. I haven't used it before. I appreciate the tip!

rlb165 likes this.
  4. xbuckeye

xbuckeye Fawn

Sep 25, 2013
    I 2nd the Allegro, excellent marinade

5. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I have a bottom round roast, from the Buck I shot this past October. Was thinking of slicing it into thin slices & making jerky by: soaking it in Teriyaki marinade, along with a few more ingredients. Just wondering if I can use my oven set low (170*) and let dry for several hours?

6. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    I made some of the best jerky this year with ALLEGRO. I always use the hickory smoke flavor but this year I put in some of the Nashville Hot Chicken flavor as well. I also put in some brown sugar and maple syrup and a few other spices like garlic and paprika. Then once on the rack I sprinkled a little Cajun seasoning on. My buddy said it was the best he ever ate. I agreed.

7. mac0492

mac0492 8 pointer

Oct 15, 2013
    There’s a great Ky Afield video where a lady makes deer jerky in her oven. You should watch it. I’m going to give it a try

davers likes this.
  8. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Thanks, I'll also give it a try!