#1 B&C state

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by jjones, Jul 20, 2012.

1. AteUp

AteUp 12 pointer

Mar 14, 2004
    Luavul
    Y'all reckon all these years them EKY hunters down there were keeping their mouths shut about all their big bucks so they could have them all for themselves? Hot dang the secret's out fellers!!!! Land ho!!!

2. headoftheholler

headoftheholler 12 pointer

Oct 16, 2007
    Getshot, KY
    You got us, the jig is up. We tried to create a diversion every year by sending half the male population to west Ky for rifle season. ;)

3. skin_dog1

skin_dog1 BBBC Members

Jan 2, 2004
    Alvaton, KY, USA.
    Very effective tactic! My first november here I thought we were being invaded! I just figured there were no deer over there when in realirty they were hiding amongst all that tall clover!

4. AteUp

AteUp 12 pointer

Mar 14, 2004
    Luavul
    Dang man, this year for gun season, I'm headed to EKY for all the lonely does you guys leave behind!

5. slickhead slayer

slickhead slayer 12 pointer

Nov 14, 2005
    VP OF ADMIN Development
    To be fair, one of the states you mentioned as "a better state to kill a BC buck than Ky" south Dakota, their all time record whitetail is 193 inches and that record goes back all the way to the 40's. EKY has produced at least 2 bucks that I can remember in recent years that big.
    So while his claims seem beyond exaggerated, not as much as your claim of S Dakota being a better BC destination.:)

6. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Taint my fault were #1. All of my booner racks from over the years are still in that huge pile-o-horns out in the shop...for my eyes only. I'm not greedy and selfish, but as a landowner, I've learned alot over the years about the few that give deer hunters a bad name.

7. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    OK, Slick. . . Uncle.

South Dakota and Nebraska may be stretching it, so I'll concede that Kentucky is a better Booner state than those 2.

That leaves us with the other six I mentioned: Iowa, Illinois, Kansas, Texas (specifically South Texas), Wisconsin and Ohio.

Kentucky hunters registered, what?, 37 B&C deer last season. In 8 days of hunting with 8 other hunters on a single free chase ranch in South Texas, I personally saw 5 bucks killed that easily grossed over the B&C minimum of 160". I don't know whether they all would've netted the B&C minimum of 160", and granted some of these bucks were NT's that would have required a higher score (isn't it 185"????), but I'd bet that at least 3 of these deer would have netted over 160" as typicals. And this is one ranch. None of these deer were entered, because the hunters had all killed lots of big deer and simply didn't care about entering a Booner.

Let's also just say that Ohio and Texas (discussed above) are debatable, but I'd bet that EVERY famous hunter in the country from the Drury Bros to Will Primos to Hank Parker to Jackie Bushman to Ted Nugent to Knight & Hale would ALL pick any of the other states (Ks, Iowa, Illinois, and Wisconsin) over Kentucky if they had to pick a place to hunt with the goal of shooting a net 160" or bigger buck (or whatever it is for NT's). EVERY single one of them. Hell, let's leave the "professional hunters" out of it. Ask any serious deer hunter on this forum that has hunted those other states. Kelly Kison and Nontyp both mirror my thoughts about Kansas. Rils7572 says the same thing about Illinois, and he's killed some monsters here in Kentucky.

I'm not saying this to detract from Kentucky in any way, because Kentucky is a great deer hunting state. It's just a reality that these other states grow bigger deer than us.

8. headoftheholler

headoftheholler 12 pointer

Oct 16, 2007
    Getshot, KY
    Something we sometimes overlook is the fact that B&C records are registered deer, how many undocumented booners are killed every year?
    Take south texas for instance, you have an area proven to produce huge deer over a long period of time, I would venture that there are plenty
    deer there that are never entered in the books.

9. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    The ranches are huge, and the owners pour an unbelievable amount of money into growing big bucks. About 200 yards from the compound, they had huge flood lights overlooking a fenced in feeding area stocked with corn and cotton seed. On any given night, you could sit on a porch of one of the compound apartments and watch 4 or 5 different bucks that were at least 160". I was shocked at how deer hunting was such "big business" down there, and none of those guys gave a flip about B&C. They simply didn't talk about or care about B&C the way that we Kentucky hunters do.

10. slickhead slayer

slickhead slayer 12 pointer

Nov 14, 2005
    VP OF ADMIN Development
    Now don't call uncle on me now. You know I'm just gigging you.
    That being said, I don't mind you claiming Ill and Iowa as states that produce bigger deer. that's certainly not outlandish. Including states like south dakota IMHO showed how biased you were.
    As far as Ril, I know his opinion, but he does have a booner in Ky, but not one in Ill yet. Just saying. And ison has had great luck in Kansas, but he is paying super big money for the best outfitter in the whole state. He also has a wall full of 150 plus Ky deer.
    My whole point in taking alot of these guys opinion about Kansas is that they are comparing a private farm in KY to an outfitter in Kansas. That's not apples to apples. I have heard professional say that the Thompson center farm in Western ky had more 150 plus deer than any other tract of land they had been on. outfitter type organizations are always going to have better animals than an average private farm.
    Skindog gets excited about kansas and ohio, and that's great. But somebody finds his deer for him in those states, here he finds his own. Now he will claim that's not ENTIRELY true, but you and I both know it is. When someone hunts in the #1 state for BC deer for years and can't shoot a 120, but shoots a 160 in 2 days of hunting in Ohio while hunting with an outfitter. Don't you think it might be a little more to it than just saying Ohio must have bigger deer?

11. kison

kison BBBC Members

Sep 27, 2002
    Nicholasville

12. KyNinja

KyNinja 6 pointer

Aug 30, 2011
    Hill country!!!
    Gun season during the rut=a good number of booners on the ground in KY. If IL or IA had rifle season during the rut they would put 50-60 bucks in the book every year.

I bow hunt only, even during gun season (I love it)....but I think our seasons are set up just right, even if I could, I wouldnt change a thing.

13. billproxs

billproxs 12 pointer

Nov 1, 2009
    KENTUCKY LAKE
    Hank Parker hunts in Kentucky every Year, Harold Knight and David Hale live here in Kentucky by Barkley Lake. They film a lot of their hunts here in western Kentucky. A member of the Drury Brothers team hunts in Kentucky every year and films hunts in KY every year.

The top Bucks in KY are just as large as any Trophy Bucks on Earth. The KY state Record Buck is around 260 inches. KY has produced a few other Bucks over 240 inches during the past 10 years. Those are giant Bucks in any state.

Here is a serious question. When it comes to Bucks in the 120 to 150 inch range where do you think Kentucky would rank ?

I often wonder if KY doesn't actually have more Bucks in that size range than many of the midwest states. I see a good number of Bucks in the 110 to 130 inch range quite often here.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  14. billproxs

billproxs 12 pointer

Nov 1, 2009
    KENTUCKY LAKE
    Since over 50% of Kentucky is covered by Hardwood Forest, and since KY has a very low human population per square mile compared to local states, I wonder how many B&C Bucks simply die of old age here in Kentucky ?

We have a lot of big land, that can hide giant Bucks here in KY. I would think there are a good number of B&C Bucks in the military bases in Kentucky that just die of old age, especially in the restricted areas on base. A place like Mammoth Cave National Park could easily hide several B&C Bucks also that will just die of old age.

15. jjones

jjones 6 pointer

Feb 25, 2007
    Westren KY
    If you were trying do be serious you should've left out Hank Parker cause he's a joke