#1 B&C state

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by jjones, Jul 20, 2012.

1. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC

Or you could try to go to a one buck limit. That seems to work in some states. ;)

2. flopduster

flopduster Fawn

Dec 21, 2011
    Would not bother me any. SCDNR has proposed a 5 buck limit statewide. It will make no difference.

3. Xtreme Archer

Xtreme Archer Fawn

Jul 24, 2012
    I would love to see the gun season pushed back to Thanksgiving weekend as the opener. Another thing the KDFWR could do to help the deer herd would be to designate more WMA's as 'bow hunt only', for a period of 3 to 5 years, especially in the eastern part of the state. This would undoubtedly enrage the Pumpkin Patch (you know who you are) that charge the mountains in the middle of November, but it would be beneficial.

4. jjones

jjones 6 pointer

Feb 25, 2007
    Westren KY
    I think the only main thing the kdfwr has done for us private land hunters is the one buck limit, I think the success of having big bucks is solely due to management by the hunters.

5. ky wonder

ky wonder Spike

Jul 5, 2012
    i know for a fact that all the big bucks are not offically scored and broadcasted, because several of those of us who manage our properties dont want the presure of everyone knowing what we have had on our property, this leads to extreme pressure on the bordering places and even with a 1000 acre heavily wooded property , you are not going to be able to hold the deer on a certain piece of ground, i do not plant plots or crops on the edges of our place for that very reason, i find the secluded hard to reach areas, and have had great results,

this year we are setting on a great crop of 3-4 year old 8-12 pointers that with time will become the monsters we all dream of and some of these deer now will reach the high 140's to 150's, with the ocassional 160 showing up,

if i want to see a great 20+ pointer 180 class i only have to drive a mile down the road and look at what my nephew harvested two years ago here in hart county, but it is not in the record books,

as far as the state is concerned i have never had them on the place as an official agency, a couple of the local older wardens know where we are and we on ocassion swap ideals with them,

but all the work, all the money and all the time has came from the family who decided to turn the place into what we consider a hunters paradise

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  6. Jenks

Jenks Fawn

Jan 29, 2012
    Kentucky is challenging ground to hunt and is definitely harder than Texas and North Dakota. I can't speak for the other Midwestern states mentioned (KS, IA, IL WI). There are also a lot of food sources for the whitetails here besdies crop fields.

7. ril7572

ril7572 Cyber-Hunter

Jul 9, 2003
    Ky..
    Got to love the Irony in this post:)

8. billproxs

billproxs 12 pointer

Nov 1, 2009
    KENTUCKY LAKE
    Doesn't the South Carolina Bow Season start in August ?