1:20 twist

Discussion in 'Muzzleloaders' started by beauhunter41031, Oct 18, 2020 at 9:04 AM.

1. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 10 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    It appears the barrel on my encore is 1:20 From a little bit of read on the Internet not many people like this and Thompson center used to replace barrels with 1:28.

however there are some fans when using large heavy bullets at low velocity‘s. But seeing how I’m just getting in this muzzleloader game I’m far from an expert at this point I’m thinking it might just make things more difficult for me

Any folks on here familiar with this? And where should I start when buying bullets and powder etc.

Thanks

kyoutdoorsman likes this.
  2. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Try some 250 gr bullets to start, I haven't tried it yet but buck horn is supposed to be the rave, I will be trying it when I'm done with my pyrodex.
    I wouldn't worry about the twist thing it was done to spin the bullet with sabots the faster twist should be better it should shoot them.

3. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Id start with something simple like a hornady xtp in a crushed rib sabot. My encore loves em'. For powder Ive switched to blackhorn 209. triple 7 shoots good too.
    Im currently hunting with barnes xpb bullets in a crushed rib sabot. Though Ive shoot my own cast bullets in sabots, maxi balls and more out of my encore for fun.. It shoots almost everything at least "pretty good".. It wont be hard to all to find a bullet it likes trust me..

kyoutdoorsman and riverboss like this.