Yet another bizzare bear story: Hunter fighting for life after bear he shot lands on him

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by EC, Oct 3, 2018.

1. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Hunter fighting for life after bear he shot lands on him
    Animal tumbled down slope after being shot by US army soldier in Alaska

[​IMG]
    A coastal brown bear walks along the banks of the Chilkoot River near Haines, Alaska ( REUTERS )
    A hunter is fighting for life after a bear he shot tumbled down a slope and landed on him.

Alaska state police said William McCormick, 28, was also struck by a rock dislodged by the bear as it fell on Saturday afternoon.

He was flown by helicopter to a hospital in Anchorage, where he was in a critical condition.

Watch more
    Mr McCormick and his hunting partner, 19-year-old Zachary Tennyson, are both US army soldiers stationed at Alaska’s Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson.

Mr Tennyson was not hurt and alerted authorities by sending a distress signal.

Police did not say what kind of bear was shot, how far how it fell, or whether it died.

Alaska is home to several species of bear, including an estimated 30,000 brown bears and 100,000 smaller black bears.

Nearly 1,500 brown bears are hunted each year in the state.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...jured-us-army-soldier-anchorage-a8563271.html

2. Big_Steve

Big_Steve Spike

Aug 21, 2007
    Richmond, Ky
    I can think of a host of things that can go wrong on a bear hunt, especially with brown bears, but the dang thing rolling down the hill and running me over would not be one of them.

3. T-wil69

T-wil69 8 pointer

Jan 16, 2015
    I would have had to make up a better story

4. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    My son is in the Air Force and just went there last month. He has not seen any bear or moose yet.

5. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    I know. Who would have thought to have come up with a "contingency plan" for that??