Yard work

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by xbokilla, Mar 17, 2019.

1. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I got a small yard in Lexington. I’m considering dethatching and ripping it up pretty good. Do you think I’ll deal with an annoying muddy mess half of the spring? Will it grow pretty fast once I’ve dethatched and reseeded? What are your experiences. I’m already “trapped” over here if it’s gonna keep me from playing with my little one or sitting around the fire pit I’ll just say to heck with it and deal with awful grass for another year.

2. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    i never had a muddy mess but i had more dead grass/thatch than i knew what to do with. over seed when the temps are staying 70 or so. i used/rented a slit seeder to get the seed in the ground then also broadcast seeded. seed germinated pretty quick and came it nice. may throw some rye grass (an annual) down as it grows real fast to give you some ground cover while the other seeds grows.

Carl likes this.
  3. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Thanks. Like I said, small yard and I can buy a cheap dethatcher about as cheap as I can rent one. I’ve arrogated before and it didn’t help much but I’m thinking dethatching might. I seed, fertilize, weed n feed, you name it but after 13 years and no one around me giving two craps about their yard it’s gotten hard to care for. I just try to take pride in what little I do have.

4. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    If you do too good of a job and it starts to get muddy put some straw down. Several years back i excavated the basement of my rental property down to the footers and as you can imagine my yard looked like WW1 trench warfare. I regraded the yard, and reseeded with straw and was delighted at how well the straw kept the mud in check, the seed in place, and had very good results sooner than expected. There were only a handful of spots that needed to be scratched and reseeded. (My seeder has a bunch of star shaped aerators on it to scratch the ground.)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  5. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    The gas powered seeder is he way to go. Last house the builder did a crap job seeding the back yard with crap seed. That fall rented one and my own seed and redid it, and it came out amazing. I DID NOT put straw down as previous experience showed me it just ended up piling up and suffocating some of the new grass creating bare spots.

Is there another reason perhaps the grass doesn’t grow well? Trees? Thin topsoil? A lot of builder do not put near enough topsoil over the existing clay subsoil to have a viable yard without watering it constantly. Previous house I referred to was like this. Thankfully, my current house has pretty decent topsoil, and the grass is much easier to keep healthy.

carnivore likes this.
  6. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    I’ll also add, I know some people like it, but the Kentucky 31, IMO, is garbage. Lots of weeds and poor germination. Maybe I got some bad batches.

7. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    I would recommend doing it in the fall....Labor Day weekend. I've had much greater success with a "start from scratch" yard in the fall personally.

8. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Thanks for advice. Ice...all the above. You know how houses are when they are all built at the same time quickly. Heck, I’ve found everything in my yard at one time or another. Bottles, dip cans, etc...where they just graded over it. I kept it looking good for first few years. Bowhunter, yes I’ve had good luck with planting things in the fall and wished I’d done it then or even in the winter. I also think I’ve developed one of those “chemically dependent” yards as I’ve sprayed and put down so much stuff through the years. I have always cut high so typically mine still looks way better than the neighbors.

9. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    This is what I’m considering, tell me what you think. Dethatch real good. Reseed heavy. Probably get some good stuff like Pennington. It’s a small yard, won’t cost much. Some 10-10-10 and maybe a little lime fertilizer. Light with some weed and feed. Cover as needed with straw. Water of course...because it never rains :eek:. WDY think?

See how that works for Spring/summer then tear it up again late fall or winter if needed.

Powerstro284 likes this.
  10. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    get a soil test done first. it will tell you how much fert and lime to use.

11. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    Only caveat I'll add to this is if the house and subdivision is relatively new, the soil PH and other things will be all over the place because they've churned up the soil so much with the subsoils and other things, it really almost depends on where you take the sample from.

12. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

Careful with the"weed-n-feed". It will kill new grass too and make sure it doesn't have a preemergent or your new seed won't come up.

barney likes this.
  13. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    ^^^^^This,
    I would also us triple 19 fertilizer or 5-20-20 fertilizer. A couple of bags of Ag lime should do a small yard

barney likes this.
  14. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Thanks guys. All good advice. I’ll go ahead and give you the results of the soil test .... sucky and chitty.

15. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    Talk to a honey pot guy and have him spray your yard. Make sure he does it at night though.;):p