White bass jumps

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by Recurve77, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Recurve77

Recurve77 8 pointer

Aug 7, 2012
    Jumps have been pretty good for the last 2 weeks with the onset of much warmer water temps. I've been fishing Nolin with really good fishing during the week early mornings and late evenings just before dark. Mornings have been good on the weekends but the evening fishing is pretty tough with all of the boat traffic. Catching a lot of 14-16 inch fish along with the usual 10-12 inchers.

mudhole crossing likes this.
  2. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Those are dandy sized white bass! Go get em!

3. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Are whites good to eat? Never tried them.

4. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 8 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    This is just strictly opinion so take it for what u will. It is not a preferred fish of mine to eat. They tend to be mushy and have a really strong fishy taste. If I am going to catch and eat them I try to get them during a spring run when they are coming from a bit cooler water. Flesh tends to be a bit firmer and more palatable to my taste.

xbokilla, mudhole crossing and bondhu like this.
  5. Recurve77

Recurve77 8 pointer

Aug 7, 2012
    They’re not my favorite but I don’t throw them back. There is a small section of red meat that needs to be trimmed and they make good table fare. I suspect that the people that have tried them and not liked the taste maybe have tasted that very fishy tasting red meat.

6. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    Probably right. Red has to go!

7. Valley Station

Valley Station Cyber-Hunter

Been eating "stripes" from Nolin River for the last 50-years or so.Usually one of the easiest ways to fill a skillet in late March and April. Just fillet,shave red meat off and fry, it's pretty good. Back in the seventies, the daily limit was 60 white bass.
    Catchin' any walleye?

8. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    trick i learned from a guide. keep a cooler of ice on the boat or live well filled with ice and toss the whites or yellow bass on the ice immediately. fillet them and get the fillets back in cool water until you can get the meat in the fridge. this will keep the meat from getting mushy and as someone said on the whites, cut out the dark red strip of meat, that's where the strong flavor comes from. did this last summer on Ky lake and the fish was great. will be chasing the whites and yellows again late july/early august. water temp should be up to 95 the way the temps are now. :)

9. Recurve77

Recurve77 8 pointer

Aug 7, 2012
    Caught one keeper 3 weeks ago trolling mud flats in 9-10
    Ft of water. Jumps seemed to have really slowed.