What's the big deal

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by BucksandFish, Sep 13, 2017.

1. BucksandFish

BucksandFish 6 pointer

Oct 30, 2012
    E-town
    I keep wondering what is so appealing about the quota hunt at Ballard. Is it the number of deer or is there some monster bucks taken every year? There's always a large number of people applying and never heard why? Also have any of you heard how good the hunts were the first few years at Big Rivers and is it still good or has it dropped off in buck kills and size?

2. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

I've been to Ballard a few times but not in at least 10 years. I've heard it's just not as good as it used to be.

3. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    I went to Ballard on a youth hunt the first year they opened. We stuck around at the check-in station long enough to see a 10 year old bring in a massive 14-pointer aged by the biologist at 2.5 years old. It was an awesome place at one time. I don't hear much about it now.

4. childersb24

childersb24 6 pointer

Mar 25, 2010
    My brother took me down there I when I was in the 8th grade and I drew a doe tag. We seen tons of deer and huge bucks around every corner. I've heard that the hunting sucks down there compared to what it used to be, from people I know that have hunted there recently. Never know though until you put in for it.

5. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I got drawn once for Ballard .. probably close to 15 years ago.

Arrived that morning in the pouring rain and gusty wind... checked in and drew from the barrel... doe tag. Which it was 3 of us in our group that morning... and we all drew doe only.

We stood there watching it literally coming a gully washer... walked back inside and checked out. Went back to Paducah ..ate breakfast and headed back home.

Which back then there was some hoss cat bucks there... but it's flat ground hunting and a lot of people in a relatively small area. It made me a tad uneasy concerning safety. Definitely wouldn't hunt off the ground.