What's eating my dogs food?

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Wildcat, May 25, 2019.

1. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    In the kitchen I've noticed the bowl kept getting eaten from the wrong side the last few nights. My little dog stays in my room with me and always stays on the other side of the bed but she does every once in a while go eat and drink in the middle of the night. Anyway a few days ago I saw one of the glue mouse traps I had in my pantry pushed out under the door. Now when they bush hog the high grass in the fields behind me I catch a lot of mice but have not caught any since they last bush hogged last fall.

The bowls are SS and the lip is about 3 inches high. I never filled it up all the way and after I noticed things funny I would put enough in the bottom to cover the bowl. I would see it had been eaten from the other side of the bowl not the side my dog uses. The last few days there would be a large table spoon size missing. This morning I saw the mouse glue trap pushed far out from the pantry door and the whole bowl was eaten.

I first thought a rat but I have yet to find any rat droppings. Now I wonder if it could possibly be a snake. I bought some large rat size glue traps and today will take everything out of the bottom of the pantry then some how build some kind of block in a semi circle between the door and the food and put in several large glue traps. Any other ideas???? What ever it is I HAVE got to catch it.

2. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I would bet you have a rat.

Ataulbe1, Genesis 27:3 and Nock like this.
  3. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    Yep. And they can be pretty smart.

barney likes this.
  4. Genesis 27:3

Genesis 27:3 8 pointer

Oct 13, 2018
    Christain county
    Put a trail cam on it.bet its a rat.

EdLongshanks likes this.
  5. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    By the time most people figure out they have a rat, she has had a litter. Don't play around with traps, glue boards, or D-con... Like Nock said, they are smart! Get some HAVOC now!

EdLongshanks likes this.
  6. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 8 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    Had some friends that had a coon coming in threw an open vent in a closet feasting than leaving.

7. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

It's a Demorat I bet....:D

8. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
  9. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    Could be juvenile mountain lion.

Ataulbe1, barney and xbokilla like this.
  10. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
  11. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    We have had Flying squirrels, deer mice, regular mice, and chipmunks raiding our deer camp cabin. No rats though. put out a trial cam next to the bowl at night.

12. Zeb

Zeb 8 pointer

May 20, 2008
    Goshen, KY
    It could be mice. A few years ago I got the bright idea to toss some extra corn next to my house and put out a cam. I got a kick out of seeing the neighborhood deer and tossed corn most of the winter. Apparently, my dumb @ss made a bumper crop of mice. We had never them in our house before but suddenly they were there. I saw a few droppings in a cabinet and found two or three stashes of dog food in our basement of about the size of small handfuls. They were raiding the bowl at night and packing it away. I ordered a dozen of these upload_2019-5-25_18-55-18.png from Amazon, baited with peanut butter and put them in cabinets, pantry, behind couch, pretty much anywhere the dog couldn't get. Took care of the problem quickly. I keep them baited now, just in case.

I like the trail cam advise, it should show the critter quickly.

Good luck

Genesis 27:3 likes this.
  13. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Like Chuck Norris, Havoc® don't sleep.

14. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    That’s what I’m thinking. Need to get some intel and setup for an ambush. Please post your findings.

15. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    My money is on rat as well