What is your favorite aspect of Kentucky outdoors?

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Hoosier Sasquatch, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Hoosier Sasquatch

Hoosier Sasquatch Spike

Sep 11, 2017
    Madison, Indiana
    I'm from Indiana and fightin' proud of the Hoosier state. That said, I love this forum, and got to wondering:

What is your favorite aspect of outdoor Kentucky?

2. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    Boiler UP!

I just love the vast availability of species and ground to hunt and fish. Been here 17 years now, and am continually impressed at just how good both the hunting and fishing are.

DH13 and Hoosier Sasquatch like this.
  3. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Being able to walk around in the woods naked

JR in KY, bondhu, Nock and 1 other person like this.
  4. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    You do that too?

bondhu, Nock and Feedman like this.
  5. childersb24

childersb24 6 pointer

Mar 25, 2010
    We have 4 seasons all in one day.

baknblack likes this.
  6. forager

forager 8 pointer

Mar 5, 2017
    planet earth
    It is the land itself. You can go from cypress swamps in the west to mountains in the east. In between, you have the barrens, the knobs, the escarpments of the Gorge and the Bluegrass prairie as well as many unique gems scattered throughout.

Within these areas can be found animals common to all zones, as well as species unique to a certain place.

It is a special place. I wish more folks valued it as such and took its conservation more seriously.

7. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Living here and HAVING IT ALL.

8. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 8 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    Its every aspect as some have mentioned above from mountains, to reclaims, to swamps, to dense forest, to grasslands, to rivers, to lakes, to streams, and its all ours to enjoy (within reason). Add to that the fact I can hunt or fish in many of these places with little to no difficulty while chasing a variety of species of fish or game, I think that is what makes Kentucky awesome!!!

Hoosier Sasquatch likes this.
  9. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    The absolute wonderful quality of the hunting and fishing..The diversity of the land.. I live deep in the mountains, but we have lowland cypress swamps in the west. Rolling bluegrass in the middle with beautiful farm land..
    Vast amounts of public land to hunt and fish. Vast diversity in our flora and fauna.. Ive hunted and fished in other states and I would not give Kentucky for any three of them and I sincerely mean that..
    Lots of native Kentuckians take this state for granted but Im telling you its a special place for outdoorsman..

10. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    We have a good amount of public land, the state is dog hunting friendly, strong dog hunting culture and you can find a hole-in-the-wall piece of property just holding the world together for relatively cheap compared to other states.

Panther45 and Hoosier Sasquatch like this.
  11. davers

davers 10 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Where I live, there is less population of people, far less than than my former home in Southern Indiana. Also, larger Vast diversity of game & non-game species, and terrain variation throughout Kentucky, more places for folks to hunt, not found in Indiana, or other crowded States.

12. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    I moved here from south Alabama for the hunting. I enjoy all of it. Within 15 mins of my front door I can be hunting ducks and geese or deer and hogs. It’s a great place to be.

13. Variety, of terrain, and of available species to hunt or fish. Hunters and Fishermen are respected and that tradition of the outdoorsman is revered, as opposed to being treated like Neanderthal's as is often done in some of the more "Civilized, and Evolved" states (Being sarcastic here). Being a native of KY is the best. The sense of "Home" here is powerful. Only WV comes close. That is why they are known as "Almost Heaven"

Irish

14. mountain hunter

mountain hunter Spike

Jan 17, 2010
    Bell County Ky
    I believe the best thing about Kentucky is the vast amount of areas that can be hunted. Private or public or even some federal land provide many people the opportunity to hunt almost anything they want during the year. Just like anyone else I wished I would see more, harvest more and bigger animals and overall have more harvesting success but that is not what is most important. The ability to see and experience multiple land areas, and experience the outdoors in a way that most people never see is what makes Kentucky so great. With that being said I have had some of my best hunting experiences in other states too so this is not just something you can enjoy in Kentucky but anywhere I can hang a stand, call in a gobbler or follow the sounds of a good hound can create memories that last a lifetime.

15. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Born & raised on the far western end.... I’ll say the one aspect of the Ky outdoors I like is ....all the non-resident sportsmen that visit.

Living in the lakes area... especially around summer holidays they provide great entertainment at boat ramps or seeing them run their 200hp Mercury fed glitter boats wide open in places that the water barely covers the stumps just below the waterline. Which not to mention the wakes casted around the docks or if they bring Sea-Doos for their kids to play on while your fishing. Those little devils are such a joy to be around.

Which if we turn the page to our spectacular hunting.... the same applies.

On my farm.... all the surrounding properties joining me are now leased by non-residents. Most appear to be from Georgia according to all the tags as they drive extremely slow as they pass the gate and field openings during gun season. Which I don’t know what their looking for but they sure keep a watchful eye out.

Then get in the stand ...and there’s nothing like seeing an orange vested NR neighbor slipping across the property lines. Which they sure get friendly when you holler at them... they just wave and do a bout face like they were military. But I will say they can be forgetful and get lost real easy as in one situation I showed the same guy 3 times where the property line was and all the posted signs.. but he kept coming over to visit. Just overly friendly folk and those guys are dedicated hunters... being they won’t stop for a fence or anything if they seen a deer cross it.

Yep.... the meet & greet and extending hospitality is my favorite aspect of Ky’s outdoors.