What is a trophy to you?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by preachnhunt, Jan 6, 2018.

1. preachnhunt

preachnhunt 6 pointer

Jan 8, 2009
    Garrard
    I am always interested in the reasons we hunt. Some are after meat ,others anything with antlers etc. The question I want to pose is “What is a trophy to you?” For the sake of discussion,we have to have some way to measure,so I am suggesting we stick with the standard measurement. I can start by saying that for me,at this stage a trophy is anything over 150. While I can appreciate lots of deer under that,this is what I would take to the taxidermist. Anyone else?

bonecollector07 likes this.
  2. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

To me, a trophy, cannot be measured. The idea that something should be a certain measurement is what ruins deer hunting for me. I shoot what makes me happy. If it puts a smile on my face, will fit in a skillet, and nourish the folks that I share it with, then I have a trophy.

3. bonecollector07

bonecollector07 6 pointer

Sep 12, 2011
    Greensburg Ky
  4. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    A nice rack

xbokilla, rabbit dawg and barney like this.
  5. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    My grandfather never saw a deer until he was 40 years old. My dad was 20. I've never known a world without an abundance of white tails. To me, any deer I harvest is one that gave me an experience much of my family never had a chance to.

I like big racked bucks as much as anyone, but any animal I take is a trophy. Plus they taste good.

6. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    rush, ky, USA.
    I personally don't consider any animal a trophy . It's more about the personal challenge the perticular animal offers me . Last year I had a mature doe that wrecked me every time she came around . We had a long season of cat and mouse until I finally harvested her with a muzzleloader in December. I honestly consider her one of the best challenges I've had . I also recall one mature ruffed grouse that held in the same area for several years . My dogs pointed him several times in the same spot and I tried several different approaches to get an open shot on him but it never happened .

7. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    I get excited shooting a doe with my bow but wouldn’t consider it a trophy. I would not consider a young buck a trophy because they are too common and easier to kill. I want to get a buck with a big or unique rack and be mature. It doesn’t necessarily have to score really high. Every kill may be a different situation.

I killed a buck this year that was 138 but was 6.5 or older. Heavy and wide but didn’t have the long points. Still a trophy. He was old an smart and definitely not common.

8. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    A trophy to me is a special memory of ANYTHING I out foxed. Accidentally, or coincidentally killing anything don't count as a trophy for me.. it's just meat at that point.

9. Drahts

Drahts 8 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Whatever I decide to pull the trigger on (bow or gun) is my trophy.

10. ddwhitetails

ddwhitetails 10 pointer

Jul 6, 2014
    At this point for me I would say anything 130 class or better. But I certainly don't condone anyone with lower standards. If its got them smiling ear to ear its a trophy!!!

11. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    I’m with Meador. I shot a doe on my farm this year. I cooked about five different dishes for my little lady before she realized it was deer. I finally got her to agree that deer was good and that she couldn’t tell the difference between it and beef. She even asked me to make venison chili to bring down to TN for her family to eat at Christmas. That whole experience was the “trophy” for me.

12. DePre

DePre 6 pointer

Sep 8, 2016
    X3. If I was fortunate enough to harvest it and consume it with family and friends, it's a trophy.

Powerstro284 and rockhousehunter like this.
  13. shaman

shaman 8 pointer

Jul 20, 2004
    Neave, KY, USA.
    I've got trophies all over the house and all over deer camp. One is nothing more than a Satellite Titan broadhead embedded in a section of beech sapling. That's all I have to show for 1996. However, I did manage to get a shot at a massive 8 point monster. That was enough.

I've got The Big One hanging over the mantle. It's the biggest deer I've ever shot. It may be the biggest deer I'm ever going to shoot. Bagging him 10 years ago changed my life.

However, my first buck is mounted on the opposite wall. He's special, because each of my kids got treated to getting to pet him every day when I got home from work. I'd lift them up and we'd learn our body parts. "Where's Mister Deer's nose?" "Where's your nose?" "Where's my nose?"

Down at camp there are a bunch of nice racks, and whole wall of spikes in the dining room. If you shoot a spike at our camp, his rack goes up where everyone can see. #2 son, for whatever reason, can't seem to let a 4 inch forker past his stand. Most of them are his, but we all have a couple up there.

Back in the corner is the rack of Spike the Wonder Buck. I'd just acquired the farm in 2001, and nearly every time I went out, I'd have Spike come visit. He was a tight little 8-pointer. He had an uncanny habit of sneaking up on me , and feeding just off my right side, so I would invariably get busted trying to turn to get the shot. I moved my stand 100 yards to surprise him on the Rifle Opener, had him dead-to-rights, and for once in all of nearly 40 years, I had a bad primer.

However, on the second weekend of rifle season, I had my #2 son up in the stand with me for his first rifle hunt. Spike showed up chasing a herd of doe.

[​IMG]

See: Spike the Wonder Buck

14. vMANG

vMANG Fawn

Dec 20, 2017
    Taylorsville, KY
    For me any deer I take with my bow. By far the hardest deer to get is a mature Doe, especially with the bow.

15. Cornpile

Cornpile 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Kornfield County,KY
    My very first deer was a button buck and was a trophy that I
    have never forgotten.Ive hunted for many years and all the deer Ive
    been lucky enough to take, have all been trophies to me.

deerturkey14 and rockhousehunter like this.