What have I become?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by bgkyarcher, Oct 13, 2018.

1. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I truly love deer hunting. I love every aspect, from early Spring putting out minerals and cameras, hanging stands, to the end result of harvest. I don't have the best places to hunt, but I try to make the best of what I have. I get some nice bucks on cameras each year, but rarely kill one of them. Deer are there, but my places are travel routes, mostly open, nothing that holds deer. Not complaining, the opportunity is there. Just have to be there when the time is right, that's hunting. I have come to the point where I don't bow hunt unless I have a good buck slipping up during daylight, and the wind is right. Camera checks totally dictate my hunts in bow season. That being said, all that goes out the window at the end of October. Wind is only factor from then on. I've only been in a tree twice this year. Part of that is due to elk, but part of that is waiting, and not wanting to mess up antler opportunity, and not messing it up. I miss tree time. I will kill at least two deer this year, but I will kill much less time in a tree than I used to.

Ataulbe1, xbokilla and elkaholic like this.
  2. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    Go and enjoy it. Just because he is not on cam doesn’t mean he is not there. I’ve been in the tree hunting on several occasions and the deer never walked in front of cam. If I was just going by what cam showed I would have thought nothing was moving. One time last year had 14 come by and a few was bucks but only 2 does walked in front of cam at corn pile. Too many rely on a cam anymore imo.

Huntertyler, ojibwa62 and DaveO like this.
  3. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    It’s hard to put it in words but I get it, I think it’s changing as a hunter, making the time you spend hunting more, idk I don’t want to say more worthwhile, but in a sense it is. I think maybe it’s being more selective of the time you spend in the tree to make it time efficient and even that isn’t the right way to put it because any time spent hunting is time well spent.

4. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I had good bucks, but not shooters, on camera pretty much every afternoon in early season. I knew first hunt I would bust get busted climbing down. First hunt was it. I was waiting for a shooter to show his hand......

5. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    I can tell you what I did. I shit canned the “shooter” mentality about 4 years ago. I got tired of dealing with all the trappings of what deer hunting has become or rather what it became for me (it’s different for everyone I suppose).

I stopped checking cams, feeding and generally getting myself so worked up over killing a shooter. It got to be too much. Nowadays I hunt when I want, but still play the wind. I still hunt all day during the rut.

If a buck walks by and he gets my heart pumping I make a decision to shoot or not. The experience in the moment determines if I shoot not what’s on top of his head.

This year I’m going to focus on meat hunting. I’ve never done that before. We need two deer for the freezer so that’s my priority. It should be fun.

I will caveat the above by saying I’m a dog hunting type guy. That’s my true passion. I’ve always had hounds, but this year my boy got a Mountain Cur. So we are going to try that adventure. My point is, my true passion has always started after deer season, so maybe that affects my decisions on deer hunting.

I really enjoy deer hunting and I wouldn’t want to give it up. But if I had to chose between deer hunting and dog hunting I could quit deer hunting tomorrow.

BowOnly, cedar creek and JDMiller like this.
  6. DaveO

DaveO Fawn

Dec 30, 2017
    Indianapolis
    This is VERY TRUE!

ojibwa62 likes this.
  7. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Sometimes you can get in a rut. If I get that way I change things up a bit. I may focus on another spot but most of the time I'll go out and still hunt. Still hunting a doe is really a challenge. Of course I have spots I can do that where I don't mess up my stand sits so that may not be an option for you.

8. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    Waco
    I am sorta there with you I will spend 100s of hours in the woods and see lots of deer , but just don't feel like Killin anymore , kinda like an old gun fighter I have killed enough, anymore I would rather put my wife or oldest son on a deer. I am content just to sit in a blind or tree enjoy creation and listen to my creator.. If it wasn't for the Lord above I wouldn't have the life I do.

cedar creek, littlebear and Capttrae like this.
  9. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    A few years back, I went like 4 hunts in a row without seeing a single deer. It was November, Zone1, I was bad frustrated. I can see the point though. I hunt a similar place. Seems like if you wear it out they disappear, yet if aren’t hunting, how ya gonna kill one? I love just being out so I understand.

10. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

You just commented on xilk123's buck he killed that was not on camera. C'mon man!

11. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    Maybe just stop running a cam for a while. Let intuition dictate when and where you hunt (and the wind). Go back to the old days when we thought a monster would show up at any time. Of course, I was a young buck in the old days and thought every squirrel moving in the leaves was a buck. I miss those days.

12. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I used to spend every second I could in a stand I could when I was younger. As I got older I go when I want to. Shooter Buck to me is the one who turns me on when he comes in. I hunt for mature Buck comes in catches my eye he gets a shot. Little Bucks walk. If no Buck couple of Doe just before Duck season opens does it for me.

KY Swamp Beagler likes this.
  13. bah1286

bah1286 6 pointer

Jul 29, 2014
    For the past two weeks, I have not gotten a picture of any good bucks and only a couple spikes and a small 8 have shown up at all. Yet I have went out a few times and each time out have seen bucks. But I do understand where you are coming from. This is why I went totally away from camera a few years ago only going back this year because my dad wanted to.

14. cityslicker

cityslicker 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2010
    Hart county
    Coyote hunting has ruined deer hunting for me. I've spend untold hours in the deer stand, but now mainly hunt for meat. That's not to say I wouldn't get excited if a bruiser stepped in front of me. I used to get all fired up putting out minerals, foodplots, corn and hang cameras. For me though it's just not as exciting anymore and coyote hunting fills that void.

JDMiller likes this.
  15. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I'm still gonna be patient. I've got 3 really nice bucks. 3 different stand sites. All three would top my best buck by far. Activity every afternoon. I know I'm gonna spook deer the first hunt when I climb down. I've only hunted twice, and I miss tree time. I will definitely put up a couple more stands next year to hunt from. It's about to get serious, so time to hunt and make some noise.