What’s a college degree worth these days?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by drakeshooter, Mar 15, 2019.

1. https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/oca...ymptom-not-cause-of-americas-education-crisis

EdLongshanks likes this.
  2. timer

timer 8 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    As I've said before, somewhere there is an economics professor - or two - who have some explainin' to do....

ojibwa62 likes this.
  3. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 8 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    somewhere between 15-500,000 it looks like.

4. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N.O.T.W
    Since colleges focus more on indoctrination and less on education , I would say a college degree is pretty useless..
    You would be far better off going to a trade school and learning something useful.

5. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY

This!

6. Bubbles

Bubbles 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2016
    I have no doubt there is a lot of indoctrination on many campuses nowadays but I didnt experience it. I only had 2 liberal professors that I remember.
    Costs have soared since I went. UK was $3500 a year my freshman year and $5200 my senior year. I dont see how it has increased so much.

Worth it? It's debatable I guess. I wouldn't have my career without it. The money is great but sitting behind a computer all day gets old. I dont think I would push the trades over college or vice versa. It's up to each individual. o have several friends in maintenance that make well over $100k a year...in MAINTENANCE! I find that incredible but they do pull 70-80 hrs a week for years at a time so it's not for everyone.

7. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I agree. College today is nothing like when I attended college in the early 1970's. We weren't indoctrinated like college student are today, and our main focus was on receiving a good education, in our chosen field of study.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  8. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N.O.T.W
    Now if you get an engineering degree , doctor or go to law school it might actually be worth what it costs, but for the most part going to college is useless now.

davers likes this.
  9. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Dang I didn't know you had to have a college degree to mow grass. New one on me...LOL. Maybe someone's wife to keep the books but not to ride a lawnmower.

ojibwa62 and davers like this.
  10. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I’d say a college degree is worth as much as you choose to make it - just like many things in life.

As far as indoctrination goes, that all depends on how much you choose to allow it. When you go to college or a similar institution you are naturally going to find folks with differing opinions and worldviews. It’s up to every individual to decide wether they hold those opinions as truths or just someone else’s opinion.

I’ve always enjoyed learning. So, I don’t mind learning about another person’s worldview, but that doesn’t mean I accept them as truths.

As you go though life you have to learn how to communicate with people with differing opinions. College does a great job of exposing students to that situation which translates great to life.

Edit to add: I’ve also run into a fair amount of ignorant folks going to college.

davers and xbokilla like this.
  11. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Well I can tell you this, college or bust, isn’t pushed as much in the HS as you think. At least not at my school and our area. If I kid hasn’t decided but wants to go to college we push the local community colleges. Affordable and credits will transfer to any in state school. We push trade schools, like Tulsa for welding, depending on the career path they’ve chosen. We also send quite a few to the military, especially National Guard as they seem to be able to supply the most money for those wanting to go to college or trade school. The dumbest thing a parent can do (unless you got money to burn) is to just let their child attend college because he/she has always wanted to go to UK/Ville/etc... The costs are ridiculous and education is what you put into it. Trust me the name of the School doesn’t hold as much clout as your ability, interview skills, work ethic, etc... My wife and I are proud to say, we have no college debt and both have Masters and RankI certifications. We took what was our best/cheapest deal and made the most of our education. Was it worth it? For us, yes. But it’s not for everyone.

12. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Good Post!

13. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    That’s painting with a pretty broad brush. I can assure you, as a college graduate, that was simply not true in my case, or anyone I attended with.

Granted, this was 20 years ago at a land grant public college.

ojibwa62 likes this.
  14. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N.O.T.W
    As you know
    20 years ago it was a whole different ball game, most will tell you and it is widely excepted that college just isn't necessary any more for most it are most cut out for it.
    oh sure there are a few folks around who care where you went to school when looking at a resume , you even see it on applications " must have this degree for this job" and more often then not "that" degree has nothing to do with " that" job. Some employers just want to know you went to a particular school , maybe it was their school. I agree there are times when you go to college and it pays off , but more often then not all many kids are getting is debt and a job that has nothing to do with their chosen to field of study. 50+ years ago when my dad graduated from Nebraska with a degree in math, that degree helped him become a pilot and officer in the AF, now that same degree might get you a job as a manager at a grocery store or maybe a teacher or accountant.
    I just had two graduate and the pressure of indoctrination was crazy one my stepson graduated with degree in computer science and was fully indoctrinated. I can't even talk to him anymore.
    Then there is my son who graduated with the same degree. He managed to get out with his conservative roots still intact. He said he couldnt take another min of the constant onslaught by liberal professors.. There is horror story after horror story of kids going in conservative and coming out flaming liberals. That being said I know many go in and come out just fine.. As a parent you need to be very selective on which college your kids goes to, and that might not be the one they want.

15. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    A lot has changed in 20 years, in academia.

I graduated 11 years ago and was seeing some of the super liberal indoctrination stuff happening then.

ojibwa62 likes this.