West Kentucky WMA Quota Hunt

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Jonathan A., Oct 11, 2018 at 11:42 PM.

1. Jonathan A.

Jonathan A. Fawn

Thursday
    Louisville, KY
    My group got picked for the West Kentucky WMA Quota Deer Hunt December 15-18. Never hunted there, curious to see if anyone had any information on the place (what tract to hunt, what to setup on, etc.) . Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 10 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    My best advice would be to go to the area and scout it before you hunt...……..after reviewing the maps.

3. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    I hunted it quite a few times but the last time was about 15 years ago. I am sure a lot has changed. I did see a lot of deer when I hunted it though. Take bowhunters advice and scout if you get a chance.

4. columbia whitetail

columbia whitetail 8 pointer

Nov 3, 2009
    columbia
    Make sure your deer is 15in wide or it will cost you. Speaking from experience.

5. Chilly

Chilly 10 pointer

Killed the biggest deer I have "ever" killed there on a quota hunt.

6. Jonathan A.

Jonathan A. Fawn

Thursday
    Louisville, KY
    thanks for the response, do you have a picture of the deer? I’d love to see it!

7. Jonathan A.

Jonathan A. Fawn

Thursday
    Louisville, KY
    Probably won’t be able to get in to scout as i’m in college and i get out that friday before the start of the hunt. when you hunted was the wma divided into tracts?

elkaholic likes this.
  8. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Home of glow in the dark deer...lol.

As West KY WMA is just down the road from USEC.... a uranium enrichment plant.

Which their not enriching uranium anymore... that aspect is shut down. But they freakin buried and stored radioactive waste everywhere. Which now it’s federally funded clean up operations... been going on for several years now.

So.... if you kill a buck with 5 legs and 3 peckers... don’t be surprised.

elkaholic likes this.
  9. HappyHunter

HappyHunter 8 pointer

Sep 11, 2003
    Louisville
    Used to quail hunt down there years ago. Always saw several deer and tons of buck sign. Lots of thick cover.

10. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    Yes it was. There were tracks that were open to hunting and others closed to hunting. I did see an absolute monster on a quota hunt but did not get a shot at him.

11. Jonathan A.

Jonathan A. Fawn

Thursday
    Louisville, KY
    From the research ive done most people have said to try and stay near the river as much as possible. Thats probably what ill end up doing. Thanks!

12. Jonathan A.

Jonathan A. Fawn

Thursday
    Louisville, KY
    What tracts did you
    hunt?

13. buckchaser

buckchaser 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2003
    Ky, USA.
    Several years back the population was much better than it is now. I bowhunted 10 days in a row there last year and saw 4 deer. They is deer there just not like they used to be. We will be hunting the quota hunt as well but where will depend a lot on where other people are hunting. There is a lot of good places to hunt. There will be pressure any where you go