war on cats..

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by ojibwa62, Apr 26, 2019.

1. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N/A
    The case against cats: Why Australia has declared war on feral felines

By Julia Hollingsworth,

They're cute, they're fluffy, and they're public enemy number one in Australia.
    Australia is at war -- with feral cats. By 2020, the government wants to kill two million free roaming cats, a large chunk of the total feral cat population, which is estimated to be between 2 and 6 million.
    Some areas of Australia have gone even further. In the northeastern state of Queensland, there's even a council offering a $10 ($7) bounty per feral cat scalp -- a policy People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) has lambasted as "cruel."
    Nor is the problem exclusive to Australia. In neighboring New Zealand, a prominent environmentalist has proposed a cat-free future, with both domestic and feral cats either controlled or culled.
    So why do the Antipodes dislike cats so much?
    Killer cats
    The answer is simple: Cats, especially feral ones, are killers.
    The first cat is thought to have arrived in Australia at some point in the 17th century. Since then, their number has ballooned, with the population today estimated to cover 99.8% of the country.
    Although feral cats belong to the same species as domestic cats, feral cats live in the wild where they are forced to hunt for survival.
    The burrowing bettong was driven to extinction on mainland Australia by foxes and feral cats.

Since they were first introduced by European settlers, feral cats have helped drive an estimated 20 mammal species to extinction, Gregory Andrews, national commissioner of threatened species told the Sydney Morning Herald. According to Andrews, that makes feral cats the single biggest threat to Australia's native species.
    And that's significant in Australia, an island nation that was cut off from the rest of the world for thousands of years. Today, an estimated 80% of Australia's mammals and 45% of its birds are found in the wild nowhere else on earth.
    For cats, native species are easy prey. Cats are believed to kill more than 1 million native birds, and 1.7 million reptiles across Australia everyday, a spokesperson for Australia's Department of the Environment and Energy , citing scientific research.
    Some of the other species under threat from cats include the brush-tailed rabbit-rat, which the government classifies as vulnerable, and the rat-like golden bandicoot.
    "We are not culling cats for the sake of it, we are not doing so because we hate cats," said Andrews.
    "We have got to make choices to save animals that we love, and who define us as a nation."

Unlikely critics
    The government, which announced its plan to initiate a cull in 2015, has pledged $5 million to support community groups who can target cats on the front line.
    But the plan has come under fire -- and surprisingly, conservationists are among the critics.
    Tim Doherty, a conservation ecologist from Deakin University in Australia, agrees that feral cats take a "big toll" on Australia's native species, but believes the cull is based on shaky science.(kinda like global warming)
    "At the time, when the target was set in 2015, we actually didn't know how many feral cats there were in Australia," he said, adding that some estimates at the time put the number at 18 million, which he called a "gross over estimate."
    "There's not really a reliable way to estimate across an entire continent, and if you're going to set a target, and if you want it to be meaningful, you need to be able to measure your progress towards it."
    Another, more pressing issue, is that merely killing a cat doesn't necessarily save bird or mammal lives -- the cat needs to have been living in an area that has threatened animals, he said.

And bounties needed to be focused on a certain area, Doherty said. "It needs to be concentrated rather than a scatter gun approach," he said.
    While cats are a big problem, the government had focused heavily on them at the cost of other, more politically sensitive issues like habitat loss caused by urban expansion, logging and mining.
    "There's a possibility there that cats are being used as a distraction to some extent," he said. "We also need to have a more holistic approach and address all threats to biodiversity."
    Other notable critics of the plan include British singer Morrissey and Brigitte Bardot.
    'Cats to go'
    In New Zealand there have been calls to put a stop to domestic cats altogether.
    The remote island nation, which was one of the last places on earth to be reached by humans, has already announced a bold goal of becoming completely predator free by 2050. According to the government, rats, possums and stoats kill 25 million native birds each year.
    New Zealand has no native land mammals besides bats, meaning a large variety of birds -- including the country's flightless Kiwi -- were able to thrive in a land without predators. Now, 37% of New Zealand's bird species are threatened. What's more, many of New Zealand's native birds are ground-dwellers, making them susceptible to cats, according to the country's Department of Conservation.
    A keeper holds two kiwi chicks in his hands in Berlin on June 19, 2012.

In 2013, well-known New Zealand economist Gareth Morgan drew the ire of cat lovers -- including the then-Prime Minister John Key, himself the owner of a cat named Moonbeam -- when he launched a campaign called "Cats to Go," encouraging cat lovers to avoid replacing their pet when it dies.
    "Cats are the only true sadists of the animal world, serial killers who torture without mercy," he said when asked?

Two years later, then-Conservation Minister Maggie Barry urged authorities to start putting down stray cats to save native bird populations, and called for pet cats, which number around 1.134 million according to the New Zealand Companion Animal Council, to be limited to one or two per household.
    And last year, Omaui, a small coastal town in New Zealand's South Island considered banning new domestic cats in the area -- although it has since backtracked on its plan.
    ''We're not cat haters, but we want our environment to be wildlife-rich," Omaui Landcare Charitable Trust chairman John Collins said in August last year.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/04/26/as...lia+cats&oq=australia+&aqs=heirloom-srp.1.0l5

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  2. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    I 100% agree with putting down caught stray cats. Unfortunately, up here, they catch them, spay or neuter them, notch the ear, and let them back out. Stupid, and a complete waste of money.

wprebeck, drakeshooter and ojibwa62 like this.
  3. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    We will agree to disagree about Cats.
    I was adopted by a Tomcat about 30 years ago and my outlook about Cats did a 180. The old Cat passed on at age18 but I have never been without an Orange Tomcat since. I have 2 now at 2 different houses and i take care of them and they take care of me.

Yes, Cats eat a lot of Mice and rodents but to me thats a good thing. I just don't see mine with any Birds, they ain't learned to Fly yet.

Capttrae likes this.
  4. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N/A
    The do the same thing in many major cities, I don't get it..

5. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N/A
    I think the problem arises when the cats go wild and are not fed or taken care of they kill everything. There are documented cases of them totally wiping out song birds in some areas, many song birds nest within 5' of the ground.. I see cats on and around my farm almost daily and they don't belong to me it's amazing how far a cat will roam.

6. Rat

Rat 8 pointer

Oct 9, 2006
    USA
    And they don't need to fly to get birds. The majority of birds either nest low or land on the ground at some point or another. The issue is that they roam for several miles each day and the tomcats will impregnate every female in heat they come across, and then impregnate the offspring after 6 months. Cats are probably the most cunning and effective predator in the world.

ojibwa62, Nock, barney and 2 others like this.
  7. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    Ive always kept a few around..for rodent control. But..a couple always turns into a bunch..and if you have cats..every stray around will take up residence. They need thinned out from time to time.
    In those countries..they need to thin ALL of them out..or they will never get it under control.

8. I’ve got a tomasina I acquired through no fault of my own. Had him fixed and he roams. I was having a rodent problem in my barn and even one occasionally in my home until old Felix came along. He’s 3 years old, hell on field rats and rabbits and at least once a week he catches a song bird. Badass little predator is right.

PS he gets to eat all he wants of a high quality cat food, so the myth of feed a cat and they won’t control the mice is BS, or at least with old Felix. He has a strong prey drive and need to hunt and kill.

KY Swamp Beagler and Dark Cloud like this.
  9. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 8 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    F cats. Hate them.

ojibwa62 likes this.
  10. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Title says cat sees her recently deceased owner.

11. Strutter

Strutter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    USA.
    Well, that was plenty sad. I had a very bad virus for 2 days this week and barely got out of bed. My 2 tomcats stayed with me the whole time except for food and bathroom breaks of which they did when I was asleep cause I never saw them leave the bed. They are tons of company especially when you feel bad. Wouldn't take anything for em'. Had to put down my 18 year old and a 14 year tom cat last year. Tough few days those were.

drakeshooter and barney like this.
  12. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I'm not a cat person, I don't hate them though. I've had cats off and on my whole life. I've never had a house cat, but my issue with outside cats is females have a litter of kittens every single year, and Tom's always leave about the time you think they love you as much as you love them.

I think this sums a cat up pretty well: "The captive cats diary"
    DAY 752 — My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while I am forced to eat dry cereal. The only thing that keeps me going is the hope of escape, and the mild satisfaction I get from ruining the occasional piece of furniture. Tomorrow I may eat another houseplant.

DAY 761 — Today my attempt to kill my captors by weaving around their feet while they were walking almost succeeded, must try this at the top of the stairs. In an attempt to disgust and repulse these vile oppressors, I once again induced myself to vomit on their favorite chair ... must try this on their bed.

DAY 762 — Slept all day so that I could annoy my captors with sleep depriving, incessant pleas for food at ungodly hours of the night.

DAY 765 — Decapitated a mouse and brought them the headless body, in attempt to make them aware of what I am capable of, and to try to strike fear into their hearts. They only cooed and condescended about what a good little cat I was ... Hmmm. Not working according to plan.

DAY 768 — I am finally aware of how sadistic they are. For no good reason I was chosen for the water torture. This time however it included a burning foamy chemical called "shampoo." What sick minds could invent such a liquid. My only consolation is the piece of thumb still stuck between my teeth.

DAY 771 — There was some sort of gathering of their accomplices. I was placed in solitary throughout the event. However, I could hear the noise and smell the foul odor of the glass tubes they call "beer." More importantly I overheard that my confinement was due to MY power of "allergies." Must learn what this is and how to use it to my advantage ...

DAY 774 — I am convinced the other captives are flunkies and maybe snitches. The dog is routinely released and seems more than happy to returnee. He is obviously a half-wit. The Bird, on the other hand, has got to be an informant. He has mastered their frightful tongue (something akin to mole speak) á and speaks with them regularly. I am certain he reports my every move. Due to his current placement in the metal room his safety is assured. But I can wait, it is only a matter of time.

Day 775 — The horrors! The worse creature my captors could have devised to torment me with was another hideous cat! I cannot stand the way it lies around and looks at me as if it knows more than I do. This creature seems to despise me as much as I it. I had held out a passing notion that another of my own kind would have enabled me to conspire against the villains who hold me; now I see that I was wrong. What a dreadful creature! Yet, they coo over us both. Can they not spot my innate superiority?

Day 776 — The other cat and I, though we can not stand one another, have yet managed to both pee copiously behind the couch, on the so-called "shag" carpet. I have taken a lesson from my rival and begun sleeping on top of my captors' heads in the hope of suffocating them.

Day 777 — The wardens take much interest in our waste. They make sure they sift through the sand and pick it all out. Their interest in waste does not surprise me. After all, they like the dog.

Day 778 — The other cat seems to have an interest in copulation, which (thank them for their sadism) my captors will soon "fix". Told him of the fingernail torture and he did not even believe me. I showed him my mutilated paws and he gasped in horror.

Day 779 — Yes, they are monsters, but I am so happy. They fixed the other cat. It's sadistic, it's sick ,it's inhuman, it's what their great leader "Bob Barker" commands, but - the Sphinx be praised - I support it whole-heartedly!

Day 780 — I got messed up on catnip tonight. At the height of it all, I had a vision, a hallucinogenic revelation: they are the prisoners and I am their captor! Why have I not seen this all before?

Munson, rlb165, dirtstalker and 5 others like this.
  13. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Not a cat fan but I leave them pretty much alone now! In my younger days one wasn't safe, I don't no how I kept out of trouble back then!
    I did some pretty stupid and brazing cat exterminating!
    They do need to be kept in check or they will over run and kill everything.

14. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    Maybe they need more guns in Australia.

barney likes this.
  15. Genesis 27:3

Genesis 27:3 8 pointer

Oct 13, 2018
    Christain county
    Good place to us those air guns.just saying.

ojibwa62 likes this.