Wannabe Waterfowler from Barren

Discussion in 'Welcome to KentuckyHunting.net!' started by ATM17, Nov 25, 2018.

1. ATM17

ATM17 Fawn

Nov 24, 2018
    Barren County
    Hello! Here to gather any information I can. I’m trying to break into waterfowl for the first time and so far I’m in over my head. Thanks for keeping this resource up and going.

2. Meatstick

Meatstick 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Best snipe hunting I've ever had is down in your area, after they drain the lake on the main channels

ATM17 likes this.
  3. ATM17

ATM17 Fawn

Nov 24, 2018
    Barren County
    Wouldn’t know the first thing about snipe but good to hear the lake is good for something!

4. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Go West or hunt ponds. Waterfowl hunting on Barren stinks. That’s why I quit

5. ATM17

ATM17 Fawn

Nov 24, 2018
    Barren County
    Thank you! I wish it was better at least from what I’ve heard. I don’t really have a lot of options. Are the moist soil units any count? Went to long creek yesterday morning to check it out but there were some vehicles there and didn’t want to disturb deer hunters.

6. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Find some ponds. If you have a boat, hit the river if everything freezes. Get there very early to be first down. Don’t know what moist soil units are. Main lake hunting stinks.

7. ATM17

ATM17 Fawn

Nov 24, 2018
    Barren County
    Above or below the lake? On the river, do I need to look for something in particular or wait till you find ducks. I have no problem trying to scout ducks I just don’t know the areas they like. Thanks for the help.