Walleye

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by Strutter, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Strutter

Strutter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    USA.
    Any tips on where and how to catch these fish? I was given a few filets and man were they good. Would like to learn how to catch them as I have been told there is a trick to it. Anyone ever catch them out of the KY river?

2. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Underground Bunker in KY
    I caught one from Rough River in 1963. I haven't caught another one since.

8&sand likes this.
  3. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Pretty much few and far between in the western end of the state. I have heard of a few caught at the Rochester dam on the Green but that was a long time ago. I would say your chances are better catching a Sauger and they eat about the same.

4. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    cumberland lake and laurel river lake. troll nightcrawler harness or spinner tipped with minnow. or go to Lake Erie next may/june.

5. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Another vote for lake Erie but that's a long trip for only 6 fish a day.

6. EastKYHardwoodHunter

EastKYHardwoodHunter Fawn

Mar 4, 2018
    Beattyville
    KY river below any of the locks, start about first of February into early April. You’ll pick up sauger too and they are just as good eatin. Always done decent, (by ky river standards) with jigs with fuzzy grub bodies topped with a crawler or minnow. Won’t get numbers but you’ll pick up a few fish. Stocked walleye a couple years ago, and they r doing decent I believe

7. Strutter

Strutter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    USA.
    Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it. I'm not a big fish eater but those walleye were great. Just good eatin and no fishy taste.

8. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Try and find you some Yellow Perch you will never go back to Walleye/Sauger. Use to hit up a all you can eat joint that had Yellow Perch and did our best to make them go broke or run out of fish on Friday nights.

9. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Dale Hollow produces a lot of walleye. Big ones too.

xbokilla likes this.
  10. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Bit off topic but I have wondered why they have not tried to stock Walleye in Lake Malone, Kentucky or Barkley. Malone seems like a good habitat with all the rocks that surround the lake and walleye love rocky places. Plenty deep for cool water even in the summer even. But all they want to put in is channel cat's. I know there is a small population of Yellow Perch in Ky lake being the state record came out of there. And all three Walleye/Sauger/Yellow Perch are from the same family.

308 likes this.
  11. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Back in the day, my dad and a fishing buddy of his caught a lot of walleye bass fishing late winter/early Spring on Cumberland and Dale Hollow. This was 30+ years ago. I remember him saying a Hellbender off deep rocky points. They mostly bass fished but if they started catching a lot of Walleye they’d put on hair jigs tipped with minnow, crawler or both and walleye fish.

12. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    sauger has been mentioned, walleyes smaller cousin. catch them in the Ohio below the dams certain times of the year and we use to catch a lot at Ky lake trolling crank baits 20 yrs ago. still catch one every now and then, but not like years past. also, i believe i read somewhere that Nolin river has a walleye run in the spring.