Walleye Run?

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by Happy Camper, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Happy Camper

Happy Camper 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2013
    Any good reports?

I heard of a few being caught in the Maumee River so there should be a small run locally. Lake Erie reporting some prespawn activity also.

308 likes this.
  2. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 8 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    Fished 5 days at the Maumee this week. Had a great time. Caught a lot of fish, seen a lot of fish being caught. Was a great trip!!

3. Happy Camper

Happy Camper 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2013
    As luck would have it i finally found where they are running also. They were right here on Locust and Round reef where they generally are about this time every year.

Had a limit before 10 this am.......feels good to be after them again.

4. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 8 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    Had a fun trip up this year. Fished in rain, snow, sleet, and even short sleeves one day so you can imagine the interesting weather we had. I limited 3 days, had 3 one day and just a single the other. Several days were a grind just to catch a fish. Water was falling and slowing all week while we were up. Good luck to ya fellas, to the turkey woods for me for a bit!!

5. Happy Camper

Happy Camper 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2013
    We got blown off Lake Erie, woke up yesterday to 40 mph northeast winds, 5-9 foot waves onshore and 13 foot rockers offshore. Today was to be the same so we came home yesterday with one good day of fishing under our belt. Try again in June.

6. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    I lived at 715 West Harrison in Maumee as a kid. We could see the river(Bluegrass Island) in the Winter and the duck pond year round. I caught several white bass but never owned waders for the walleye run and moved to Kentucky at age 11. One of my bucket list items is to go back and catch fish on the run!

I'll be there for July 4th and will spend one day fishing the river but it will most likely be catfish, bluegill or smallmouth by then.

7. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 8 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    Yep the walleye run will be over but there are some native saugeye in the river that stay. I actually fished right across form Bluegrass one day standing on the high bank. Tough to get fish up the bank but caught several there. Bluegrass was just getting good when we left.

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  8. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    My stomping grounds were from the Maumee Bridge to the 475 Bridge, Sidecut Park and all the associated waters. Used to go to the little dam on the Duck Pond with nothing... Scrounge around for lost hooks, line and scratch around for a few worms and you were in business for the bluegills and bullheads.

9. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 6 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    Went up to Oregon Ohio to fish saturday and sunday. Good thing we got up there early on Friday and were able to get out because as you see above sat and sunday were wicked rough. Flood warnings from water being blown into low lying areas 9-12 seas on Lake Erie are no joke. We had seven guys on the boat and limited out in 2.5 hr friday night, thats 28 fish and caught 4 or 5 dinks. Largest fish was 22.25. Veritcle jigging with purple .75 oz +- bucktails no live bait attached. Started in 16 ft of water and drifted in to about 10 or twelve ft. Talked to some guys at the bait shop that were fishing Bluegrass and another spot on the river they had three but said they lost a lot of gear.

10. Happy Camper

Happy Camper 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2013
    We made up for Aprils trip. Four of us fished 3 days with limits each day. The worm harness bite is on fire right now. No Fish Ohio's mainly good eaters between 16 and 20 inches, had a few mid 20's. The trip was great with good friends, ate well, and went over to the island one afternoon. I brought my bride back a couple of bottles of wine from one of the islands winerys she likes, for the permission. ;)
    The bite is on if you can find the time to go.