Varying bushytail colors?

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by silentarcher, May 15, 2018.

1. silentarcher

silentarcher 6 pointer

Feb 27, 2013
    west ky
    I've seen many different color phases and shades of squirrels both fox and gray over the years but back in turkey season I saw something I've never ever seen. Not in a book, the internet, or even heard it talked about. I somewhat understand what causes these different color variations but just can't figure out what would make a squirrels colors vary in this form. It was a gray squirrel and it was just as any other I've seen except the 2"-3" tip of his or her tail was snow white!! Seriously! I had a bird gobbling some what regularly and as I often do go into a not that interested clucking and scratching with my foot mode trying to get him going more so. I let it get quiet when I heard a squirrel barking off in the opposite direction. I turned and just as I did heard and saw a squirrel going tree to tree in the distance. I grabbed the binocs and focused in on it and it was headed right torwards me. I thought what the heck!! He came in to 15-20 yards down a small tree hanging by his hind legs looking at me just as funny as I was looking at him!lol I was thinking no way!! How could he survive with a beacon on his tail like that letting every predator in the woods know where he's at?lol He let out a couple course barks at me and hauled it like only a scared squirrel can do! Has anyone else ever seen one like this or killed one like this? I wish I'd have tried getting a pic but I was a little Awe struck over the little fella. I'll be in there looking for him for sure come season and maybe early season.

2. Munson

Munson 6 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Seen one like that in west Ky, also had a white nose. Almost jumped on my boot. Never seen any like it here in the east. I do have a grey in my yard daily with a tail as red as a foxes. Weird

3. Chilly

Chilly 10 pointer

My son shot one a few years ago that had a white face, white tipped tail, all 4 feet were white and white ears. I've seen several with white noses over the years.

4. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    My dad has a beautiful grey and blonde (like Goldie locks) scampering around his house in villa hills. It’s pretty neat to watch. I’ll try and get a picture the next time I’m over

5. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 10 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    I remember killing one when I was a teenager it was a grey squirrel but it's tail was like a fox squirrel. It was one of four younguns in a den tree. The other 3 were normal color

6. rabbit dawg

rabbit dawg 6 pointer

Mar 9, 2010
    We have a squirrel that hangs around our yard my wife calls white tip because of its tail.

7. bigbonner

bigbonner 6 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    I saw one a long time ago that was all white .

8. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 10 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    E8C9C85B-736B-4CE0-8436-86CF948EB108.jpeg D7F94E38-40B7-4E54-82AB-780FC8416080.jpeg I’ve got a pic of a white one,from another forum,if I can get it on here

barney and JR PORTER like this.
  9. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 8 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    Got one here at work I see on a regular basis that is almost as white as that. It isn't albino I don't think though because it still has a grey hue. I see more color variation in fox squirrels her in Pulaski County. See them with black, white, red, and gray in different combinations. I killed an almost solid black one when I was younger but he had one white foot, a small white patch on his chest and a white nose.

10. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Back in the 80's saw all different color phases of bushytails, hard press to find one nowadays.........................:)

DH13, xbokilla and barney like this.
  11. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    How are these squirrels getting in Bleach

12. web splitter

web splitter 6 pointer

Feb 3, 2015
    There are several white squirrels around UofL's campus.

13. silentarcher

silentarcher 6 pointer

Feb 27, 2013
    west ky
    Cool stories and pics. I have seen white ones though not hunting, several different fox squirrels mixed with black and different red mixes, and the occasional white nosed fox squirrel. And the reddish hue grays from mixing with fox squirrels. I've never seen an albino or solid black one while hunting and that white tipped tail one was a cool one to bump into. I saw a beautiful colorphase fox squirrel a few years ago while bow hinting. He was a deep red with coal black on his chest, legs, face, and tail fading into the red. Never seen one like him. Never could get a shot with my bow and the cell phone pics I tried wouldn't take good. Maybe there should be a squirrel grand slam? With two categories fox and gray?lol

14. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    We used to hunt a farm in Boyle that had huge fox squirrels with almost all black faces. Looked like a mask.

15. Coot_Meurer

Coot_Meurer 10 pointer

Nov 4, 2006
    Not here anymore
    Grays/greys can be all black (population up in Davenport IA) to all white (some suburb up near Cincy) and lots of shades in between. One like you mentioned would be very cool.

I have Hunted Fox squirrels up and down the Mississippi and have seen a pattern. Far north they are pretty much just red. Ad you work south they get black feet, tails and noses, and as they get more black then you start to see white tips. I killed some really cool ones in southern MS that had white nose feet and tail tip, along with black face, lower legs, and tail.

Now down here in NC the fox squirrels come in all black with white face feet. They also come in the same but silver. I've had several chances to shoot the silvers but limit is one a day and I really want one of the jet black ones. First time I have ever seriously considered having one mounted. Actually had a perfect one standing in the neighbors front yard today - but figured shooting out of season in someone's front yard might cause some issues.