Update

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by mudhole crossing, May 23, 2018.

1. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    The surrogate hen is going great with her 6 bittys. She teaching them a lot about scratching for food and they are mimicking her every move. There's one poult that runs away every time we open the door. Rechon it's a tom lol?

DH13 and rlb165 like this.
  2. Jay Blankenship

Jay Blankenship 6 pointer

Mar 22, 2018
    OH
    Sounds to be!!! Tell me what you got goin on mud? I seen a pic and just by putting pieces of the puzzle together let me ask ya this....what did ya do find some turkey eggs and bring them in for a chicken to hatch?? im interested to know wat ya into ol boy????

3. mudhole crossing

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Ok I ran a hen off her nest the week before season. I was looking for mushrooms. She never did come back because I'd check every 3-4 days. I could see the nest from the road so I didn't have to exit the vehicle to see if she was there. Close to 3 weeks passed so my dad got the 8 eggs and brought them home and put them under a chicken. 2 spoiled so we tossed them. Day 27 the remaining 6 hatched. They are doing great. We keeping them up for a few weeks with mama and then we letting them out free range. The plan was to at least and try to save them. I imagine when they get a older they will leave on their own.

4. Jay Blankenship

Mar 22, 2018
    OH
    WOW!!!! That is awesome mud!!!! good for you my friend......are you able to distinguish what the poults are? male female?

5. mudhole crossing

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Not yet

6. Jay Blankenship

Mar 22, 2018
    OH
    well mud ya got to keep me posted on this!!!! I think that's great and what a story!!! true avid sportsman you are.........if one of em turns out to be male.....whats your thoughts about an OH guy maybe getting it from ya for my boys to keep around the house???? gosh that would be a freakin huge cherry on top of this spring :)

7. mudhole crossing

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Buddy u come and get it this winter. I have np with that. If they all do well and they make it, ur welcome to it. Make a pet of it if u want. In my eyes, they were on death row a month ago. I hope they do well in the weeks to come.

8. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

Remember that turkey are susceptible to many diseases that chickens carry. Blackhead for one. I'd be feeding medicated scratch. If you'll take my advice and read Illumination in the Flatwoods you'll get a lot of insight into raising poults.

mudhole crossing and Bee like this.
  9. mudhole crossing

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
  10. Jay Blankenship

Mar 22, 2018
    OH
  11. Drahts

Drahts 8 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Cool, they will most likely just hang with your birds. Had a guy used to do this, some would roam off and some would act just like the chickens.

12. mudhole crossing

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    I heard the males will prolly leave for sure. Still can't tell the sex of them. But there's one that is much bigger than the rest so he may be a gobbler. We will see. Somebody gave us a white domestic turkey and my son has had s ball with it. It's huge!!!! I bet over 40#. Struts and gobbled all the time. U can pet him and stuff.

13. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Not to rain on anyone’s fun, but you all do know that all of this is illegal right? If you don’t believe me check the 2018 Spring Hunting Guide. It’s illegal to possess live wild turkeys or their eggs.