Turkey ticks

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by camclo01, Sep 5, 2018.

1. camclo01

camclo01 6 pointer

Oct 11, 2010
    louisville, KY
    not sure what everyone calls them but has anyone else that got a deer so far this year gotten tore up with Turkey ticks while processing?

I wear full rynoskin insect base layer when in the field but while I was capping out my buck Sunday night I notice a lot of turkey ticks on him. Then I noticed they were transferring to me as I was in my garage and out of my insect gear.

Because of this I am now paying the price and itching up a storm. Still worth it as I got my buck damn is it annoying lol

2. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    They are the baby stage of ticks. That's another reason Im not killing deer when its this hot.

cedar ridge and bdbrown66 like this.
  3. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I pulled 11 of them little suckers off me this weekend that were attached. Got a dozen more bites from their little siblings or chiggers too. Itching like crazy. And I got all of them in the yard around the cabin.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  4. T-wil69

T-wil69 8 pointer

Jan 16, 2015
    We always called them turkey mites, the buck I shot yesterday was covered, especially his velvet

Giveem3outdoors likes this.
  5. camclo01

camclo01 6 pointer

Oct 11, 2010
    louisville, KY
    At least I am not the only one. I pulled at least 20 off while processing. and prob have 20 bites still on legs and arms.

When I dropped him off at the taxidermist the bag he was in looked alive

6. Munson

Munson 8 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    They are the devil on earth! I can't think of a single reason we need them, chiggers or skeeters..

7. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Just another reason I don't get serious about bow hunting until October. I wish they would move the date back to where it belongs.

8. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    https://www.ent.iastate.edu/imagegal/ticks/iscap/all4.html

I don’t know if they are nymph or larva. All I know is they can jack you up in multiple ways. Permethrin is the only thing I’ve used that keeps ticks at bay. We will likely know in 50 years that it’s bad for you, too. Decisions, decisions....

I’ve found ticks on me in January and February rabbit hunting. If it warms up any you can expect to see ticks come out of dormancy.

muddhunter likes this.
  9. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 10 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    This will help with the itch.

52D8AEFC-30CA-4586-A354-A53A289AD320.jpeg

DaveInJax likes this.
  10. rlb165

rlb165 10 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    The easiest way that I know of to get turkey mites off of you is with tape. Two-inch wide clear packing tape works best, but any kind will work.
    Once when I couldn't find any tape, I used a lint roller.
    Those things are awful around here.

11. invasion36

invasion36 8 pointer

Aug 29, 2013
    Kenton Co
    Seed ticks are bad news fellas. Protect yourself from them. Been some members on here that’s got sick from them. Spray down.

timer likes this.
  12. shaman

shaman 8 pointer

Jul 20, 2004
    Neave, KY, USA.
    Turkey mites are bad. They are like Africanized fleas armed with flamethrowers and they dig in, set up a defensive perimeter, and call in air strikes on your most sensitive regions. They will not accept surrender; their only goal seems to be suffering.

I've picked up a few hunting, usually it's a few here and there in turkey season. However, one of the worst infestations I've ever gotten was an attack at a public campground in southern KY over July 4th one year. They attacked my groin and underarms while I slept. Without knowing what they were at the time, I called them Saber-toothed Crotch Crickets. They attacked at division strength and marched through my privates like Guderian through Poland.

Yes, they wrecked the trip. Yes, they made me sick. Yes, it took weeks to get rid of the itching.

I've been back to that campground and even stayed at the campsite. What I did was dump a can of RAID all the way around the tent before entering the first time. It kept the crotch crickets away for the whole weekend. Revenge was sweet: gas the bastards.

The only time I've been worse afflicted was bumping into a swarm of black flies while fishing on a creek south of Oxford, Ohio. Everything was covered except my wrists and hands. However, that was enough. After hiking out, I found my knuckles stopped working, and my hands were too useless to drive a car. The condition lasted 8 hours.

cedar ridge likes this.
  13. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    X2 on the tape. I also use the wide masking tape to tape around the top of my boots on to my pants. Then tuck in shirt.

It took me a year to get over my tick-bite illness.

14. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    That’s what I always called them. Seed ticks. I thought they were just another type of tick and not a tick in “baby stage” like mentioned above? Anyway, my dad grew up in Arkansas and whenever we went to visit family they’d be all over me. I don’t remember them being as bad here until recent years. My parents place is covered. If you are out of your car for more than 5 minutes and haven’t sprayed down you’ll get 2-3 on you in no time. For some reason, if they make it there without you knowing they will bury in your sides and you won’t know for a couple days as they look like a mole or freckle.

15. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    There's 3 stages of ticks. The larval stage. That's the little tiny ones that will cover your legs up. Then the nymph stage that are just a little larger and way more mobile, crawling all over you. Then there is the regular old adults.

I have read that the larval stage can't spread any disease because they have never fed on any host to contract anything. I've also read that a tick must feed on you for 24 hours or so to give you a disease.

Dark Cloud likes this.