Turkey population?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by INKYHUNTER, Mar 17, 2017.

1. INKYHUNTER

INKYHUNTER Cyber-Hunter

Dec 10, 2001
    Bowling Green, KY, USA.
    Our population has really drop in last few years. Nothing seems to have changed as environment goes. What do you see in your area?

2. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 8 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I think it might have declined for two or three years,but I'm seeing as many as I use to see.From some of the postings on the forum ,other people are seeing several birds also.A rumor was floating around two or three years ago some disease ,virus ,or something killed a few off I think.

3. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    I am seeing 20 bird flocks were there weren't any before. But I think it has to do with the fresh shoots of green.

4. davers

davers 10 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I've seen a few flocks on my property, about the same as years past.

5. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 8 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    I am seeing about normal adults in flocks right now. Back when poults were running around August and September I never saw the first bunch here in Pulaski. Seems no be the norm for areas. Have a good hatch one year and bad the next or whatever you know.

6. WaterDog88

WaterDog88 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    Past few years have been normal where I hunt. I have seen a drop in deer numbers though.

7. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    Aint no turkeys this year. Im not even gonna hunt.

All kidding aside i have seen some places decline in numbers and some are as good as they have ever been over the years.. This year the closer season gets the more average i think the harvest numbers will be. This cold snap has seemed to have slowed them down vocally in my area a little. But im just going buy what i hear each morning while listening from back porch. In a nut shell i think we are on route for a par for the course season. Average...

8. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Numbers were lower in our area the last few years

9. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 10 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Boys don't think I'm crazy, but just because u don't hear them doesn't mean they are not there. The 2 I killed last year never gobbled once. And I've got within the roost of toms with hens and they never make a peep. Imo if every Tom gobbled at daylight, you would be shocked that how many there really are.

10. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

I think the numbers are down some in my area the past few years. Still plenty to make for good hunting. Call me crazy but last year during scouting I located several longbeards on properties I hunt. During a few outings during season I heard little to no gobbling but I knew they were still around. These properties get average pressure from myself and a few other hunters. Anyway, after season closed and the pressure was off, I heard or saw close to 80% of the gobblers I had located preseason.

11. silentarcher

silentarcher 6 pointer

Feb 27, 2013
    west ky
    Numbers are definitely down in my area. Gobblers and hens both. Not sure why or what has impacted them but I hope they get back to where they were.

12. T-wil69

T-wil69 8 pointer

Jan 16, 2015
    I've noticed a lot more gobblers and Jakes this year, haven't paid any attention to the hens the less the better

13. cedar ridge

cedar ridge Spike

Dec 3, 2015
    South Central KY
    In the areas where I hunt in Hart and Barren Counties, we're covered up with mature gobblers, jakes, and hens. I just assumed this was pretty normal as we don't do anything special to attract or hold them. Hope it's a better year for you guys than some are expecting.

14. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    From trail cams last summer & early fall, winter yote hunting and overall daily travels... turkey populations in my area (Purchase) seem down.

Kept thinking for awhile it's a food source thing with the heavy mast crops last fall. Thinking their around just not seeing them in the usual places. But from then to now just not seeing the numbers as usual.

15. Randy1974

Randy1974 Spike

Apr 12, 2016
    I'm from ohio and go to Ky every year to hunt I think population is down in Ky from 5 years ago when I first started to hunt there. But here in ohio in my area numbers way down that's why I started to go other States and hunt ( Ky, tenn,N.Y.) ohio had a good hatch last year. Lots of juveniles running around