The last of our "summer" canning.... Apples!!

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by Lady Hunter, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    I'll be canning venison & a variety of soups and so forth over the winter but we did the last of our "summer" canning this past weekend.

My husband & I love winesap apples & they're darned near impossible to find at a decent price around here so while he was out hunting Saturday morning, I was on the phone hunting our favorite apples in canning quantities. Finally found them at a little produce stand down in Casey County so when he got out of the woods, we ate breakfast & headed South!

Picked up a couple of bushels of winesaps along with waaaay too much other stuff: two big blocks of cheese (farmers & jumpin' jack), a box of sweet peppers, a bag of banana peppers, cauliflower, eggplants, tomatoes, etc.

And the next morning, we started working them up. Two bushels of apples became 57 quarts (actually 51 quarts and 12 pints) of delicious apples for the coming year. Mmmmm!!! Mmmmm!!! Good!!!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EC, bondhu and barney like this.
  2. rcatron

rcatron 6 pointer

Apr 12, 2010
    winchester, ky
    Recipe? We did 6 pints of apple sauce last weekend. Just getting into the whole canning process so always enjoy seeing your posts.

Lady Hunter likes this.
  3. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Just peeled, cored & sliced and then canned them in a light syrup (think it was 1 cup of sugar to a quart of water) and hot water bathed for 20 minutes. Oh and make sure you don't accidentally leave any seeds in them....

[​IMG]

OOPS! Not sure what an apple seed might do over time so we'll be eating that jar in a night or two! (That jar is kinda "fizzy" looking because I'd just finished de-ringing & washing all of the jars which shakes things up pretty good when I looked down & saw the seed!)

They're wonderful for making a quick "crisp" or just heating up for "fried apples" (can add brown sugar, cinnamon "red hots", or just plain cinnamon to change the flavor around as desired).

4. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
  5. rcatron

rcatron 6 pointer

Apr 12, 2010
    winchester, ky
    Awesome. Thanks!

6. bondhu

bondhu 8 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    as always looks great

7. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Thanks for posting. Have been wanting to get into this myself.

8. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    If you have any questions about getting started, send me a message. I love helping people get started canning & have helped several folks here on the board over the years! There's a lot of BAD information out there so I strongly suggest you avoid YouTube & most internet sites unless they follow National Center for Home Food Preservation protocols.

9. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Thanks for your kind offer! I need to look at getting the "stuff", pressure cooker, etc.

10. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Before you start.... make your FIRST purchase a copy of the Ball Blue Book (available in the WalMart canning section). It'll help you determine what you really need. Lots of companies are jumping on the "prepper" bandwagon & selling all kinds of crap that's totally unnecessary for safe canning - not to mention downright UNSAFE...

EC likes this.
  11. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Thanks!!