Successful antelope archery

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by littlebear, Aug 22, 2017.

1. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Thought I would share pics and a little about my hunt this year. Never did post about last years hunt. Just got back Sunday from a week long DIY Wyoming antelope archery hunt. It was a great hunt. This is my 5th goat and 3rd in last 3 years. Got out there Sunday after driving 23 hrs straight thru. That gave us a couple days to get blinds out and camp set up. 6 of us was hunting. Season opened Tuesday with cool wet weather which is rare there. Couple guys got there goats on the third morning and another that evening. My buddy and I got ours on the 4th evening. The last guy got his Monday. We ran into a four rattlesnakes too. Did a lot of good eating at camp also.
    My goat was taken on Thursday afternoon. I had seen a real giant a couple times but it just didn't like the waterhole I was hunting as good as the one about 85 yds away. The shot was about 25yds on my buck. Recovery was a little over 100yds. Saw several and this one was about 3rd best I saw. Very happy with him and the hunt. Here are a few pics

2. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    Congrats!!! That's one hunt that's on my bucket list

3. bondhu

bondhu 8 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Congrats on a great hunt! Wyoming Antelope is some of the finest eating there is.

4. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Congrats on a fine speed goat !!

Been to Wyoming and out west in general on two different occasions....unfortunately neither were for a hunting trip..lol.

But I saw a lot of antelope both times....and always thought to myself I need to do that.

5. bondhu

bondhu 8 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Another side note. If a Wyoming bear pulls you over for speeding. They will not accept a fresh antelope roast, and only issue you a warning.

6. nock

nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    Congrats. That's on my list as well. Public or private?

7. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

So do you just go out with a map of public land and start scouting? If so, is it crowded or do you pretty much have it to yourself?

8. bondhu

bondhu 8 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    I have to laugh a little:) Its big sky country I didnt think it was crowded but people travel there every year and I did see 6-8 hunters. But the rancher we stopped and ask to hunt ran cattle on 4000 acres. We ask him what about those 3 other hunters you have in here from PA. Ranchers response "Just dont shoot them".

9. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    Private. We each pay a trespass fee to him and we have entire ranch opposite from side of road his house is on. First year I hunted there cabelas had house side leased. I believe it's around 40k acres we can hunt. His family owns over 200k acres. One ranch I was told of is over 100k acres but I've not been there.

Capttrae likes this.
  10. elkaholic

elkaholic 10 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    That's awesome, congrats.

11. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

That's hard for me to comprehend. I'm sure that's not as big of a deal out there but WOW!

Capttrae likes this.
  12. Docwaters

Docwaters 6 pointer

Sep 27, 2013
    Prospect
    Congrats on the speed goat!

13. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    Hunted a ranch around Lusk Wyoming about 15yrs ago. I could tell it was huge. I asked how many acres it was. They said around 250k give or take a couple thousand acres. I just couldn't believe that much land one person could own but I guess they did.

Capttrae likes this.
  14. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Beautiful pics, thanks for sharing them. Was in Laramie, WY last summer. They were "all over" their airport.

15. outdoor-addict

outdoor-addict 6 pointer

Jul 12, 2010
    What area did you hunt, if you don't mind me asking?