Stuff in the woods

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by barney, Aug 5, 2017.

1. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I thought I would share some of the stuff I've stumbled upon in my woods over the years.
    I came across this small piece of copper washed up on a gravel bar in the creek that runs through my hollar awhile back.
    [​IMG]
    Yesterday afternoon, whilst walking the pups, I found this old piece of copper way up on the hillside above the creek in a steep, hidden draw.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    There's lots of old barrel hoops laying around in the holler as well. I just wonder what was going on around here 100 years ago?
    [​IMG]

LoneArrow, bondhu, EC and 2 others like this.
  2. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    I enjoy finding old stuff like that in the woods. I've seen a lot of country following a pack of hounds as an active participant in wild places that I never would've if I was just a spectator.

3. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 8 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Plenty good and probably bad whisky made around them parts,love finding stuff like that .I use to metal detect a little,we have no clue what all went on years ago,it's fun trying to assume and figure out though.

4. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I'm thinking about running a metal detector up the creek bed in the holler. I've heard a lot of 'shine stories about this place. The farm has been in the family since the mid 40's, so the seedy stuff happened prior to then.

I had an old neighbor tell me a story when I was a teenager about him making liquor, and almost getting caught here on the farm back in the 30's. He said that he bent over to stoke the fire under his still furnace, and noticed a pair of legs with black boots standing in the brush right behind him. He said he never stood up, nor looked back before he sprang forward and took off like a rocket up the mountain. He said he ran with everything in him straight up the steepest part until his legs felt like they were on fire while the revenuer was almost in tackling distance, and closing in from behind. He said he was just about to give up when the revenuer reach and got hold of a small tree to pull himself on up, but the little tree was rotten, and snapped at the base sending him tumbling back down. He said that gave him enough time to get away!

5. Gooch

Gooch 8 pointer

Feb 24, 2004
    .lincoln co ky
    good story,had 2 locals get caught here bout 40 years ago i remeber it well.they both went to prison.

barney likes this.
  6. cedar creek

cedar creek 8 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    Old moonshine stills are common around my area, barrel rings about all that's left by now, most people done took the jugs or old copper

barney likes this.
  7. Tom Threetoes

Tom Threetoes 8 pointer

Oct 4, 2002
    southern Indiana.
    When I was in my mid 20s (I'm 70 now) I worked with a older fellow whose Uncle owned the property that we now own. He told me his dad pastured cattle on the south 40 of our place. One spring when he was a kid around 10 or so his dad and him went to check fences and dig out the spring where the cattle watered. When they got close to the spring he noticed the ground was all trampled down and showed signs of a lot of activity. All of a sudden his dad grabbed him by the arm and said "lets get out of here". He had no idea what was going on but him and his pop beat it out of there. When they were a safe distance away he asked his dad what was going on and why was he in such a hurry to get away. "Somebody's makin' whiskey at the spring and they might be hiding there!" his dad said. Years later I found what was left of the spring in the bottom of a small ditch. A few years ago I was turkey hunting near there and I saw something sticking out of the crotch of a tree that the loggers had cut down. It turned out to be the head of a small hammer that been stuck in the tree so long that the tree had grown around it. I wondered if that hammer was left there by those moonshiners, there's no other reason for it to be there. I may do like Barney said and take my wife's metal detector up and down that ditch and see what I can find.

barney and bondhu like this.
  8. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    When we bought our farm we ran across an old moonshine still site. Which it was at the edge of a thicket of really mature cedars next to a spring. Had an open area to the front where you could see anyone approaching and heavy timber to their backs.

We talked to some of the older neighbors that had lived their life in the area and they filled us in on the details.

Apparently it was late 50's or early 60's some locals ran this still until they got squealed on. Revenuers and county sheriff raided it early one morning but whoever at the still site saw them coming... grabbed the worm and hightailed it up through the holler.

From what we saw & found they busted a crapload of mason jars I assume filled as there's all kinds glass under the leaves & dirt. Pretty much take your boot and kick around you will find remnants of the mason jars even old lids & rings scattered about. They took axes to the boiler and metal barrels ...which I figured they mixed / fermented mash in. In turn all that's left of any wooden barrels is just the rings now. But all this is just laying there as it was busted up.

Which the worm must have been a valuable piece to these folks. Which the reason we know they took it with them as we found it hanging in a tree at the bottom of a ridge behind where we built our cabin. Which the limbs of the tree had grown in amongst the coils but we took a chainsaw and cut it out. It was greened up as copper does but still very much In good shape considering the age and weather it endured.

I suspect they meant to either go back and get it and got scared to do it or they plumb forgot what tree they stashed it in in their hurried retreat... lol.

Take note of the axe marks below.

IMG_1477.JPG IMG_1478.JPG IMG_1479.JPG IMG_1480.JPG

xbokilla, Gioacchino, nock and 2 others like this.
  9. bondhu

bondhu 8 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Real cool stories. Ran across a old still down in Beattyville one time. It looked as though they just walked away from it minus the cooper.

10. Bee

Bee 8 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    Grouse hunting in north dark hollows in S E ky 40-50 years ago I found from time to time both still sites and one active still, unoccupied but had fire embers. The setter dog and i left pretty quick. I've seen pieces of barrels, jars, etc in many spring feed drains over the years all over appalachia. Hey, it was a way of life when times were tough.

barney likes this.
  11. inchr48

inchr48 10 pointer

May 14, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Found an old chain grown into a tree. It was well over head high. Suspect the tree grew up from under the chain and took it with it as it grew.

Attached Files:

12. ky_coal_miner

ky_coal_miner Fawn

May 15, 2015
    Clay County Ky
    Hell stills are still runnin down in SE ky

xbokilla likes this.
  13. bondhu

bondhu 8 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Still runnin in NE Ky too.

xbokilla likes this.
  14. Tom Threetoes

Tom Threetoes 8 pointer

Oct 4, 2002
    southern Indiana.
    Moonshining is the most common and most talked about illegal out door activities but the meth cookers have taken over the spotlight these days. We used to have a big problem with this but our several weekly visits to our property has stopped the cookers.

15. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005