Stocking a pond

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by OLE RASPY, Sep 22, 2018.

1. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY Spike

Sep 9, 2018
    KY
    I’m getting pretty close to digging a pond on my property. Been Thinkin about it for a couple years lol. I have heard that the fish and wildlife Dept. will stock it for free. Is this true? I’ve heard it from a few people and also heard that the local conservation office will. So I don’t know. To me it sounds not true but wanted to ask here. I’m gonna stock it either way. Thanks.

2. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    California ky
    They will do the initial stocking. Use the fish truck if you want some bigger fish to speed up the process as well. I use jones in NKY but im sure you have a closer hatchery in your area.

OLE RASPY likes this.
  3. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 10 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    I thought they stopped stocking privit ponds and went stricktly to the fins program. I could be wrong and it would not be the first time I was.

4. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    California ky
    It appears you are right. The website has consulting info and a list of private hatcheries. Not sure when they quit but it had to be within the last 2 years.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  5. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    don't know about now, but several years ago they would set you up. an established piece of water, they would kill every thing in it and start from scratch. a new pond, they would go with their recommended ratio of different fish.

6. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I think it stopped when Benji was giving Fish for stocking to privileged people.

7. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    California ky
    I missed this story.

8. Poorboy

Poorboy 6 pointer

Feb 23, 2005
    under the bank
    I looked at stocking or buying some from the fish truck a few years ago. I decided to do my own from several neighboring ponds. Tiny hooks and every fish was a trophy. The price at the time was around 75cents for a tiny bluegill and a couple of bucks for a bass. I rigged an old cooler with an aerator and spent the spare time in March and early April having a blast. I stocked three ponds that spring and they did wonderful. I added a few spawning fish to increase the food supply.

carnivore likes this.
  9. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    I’ve been stocking the pond behind our house for a couple years. By pond I mean the storm water retention pond they created when they built our section of subdivision.

I bought a cheap aerator for a plastic tub placed in the back of my truck. Several dozen bluegill turned into hundreds quickly, and so this year I stopped throwing sunfish in, and worked on Bass. Have 8 bass in there, with 6 being in the 12-14 inch range, and two good ones at 17 and 19 inches. Threw in a couple 8-10 lbs catfish as well.

mac0492 and bondhu like this.
  10. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 8 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    Waco
    We built a 5 ac pond in GA a few years ago , stocked it with 6" Florida strain largemouth, Copper nose bluegill ( they get big) and a bit later some 90 day channel cats..