Stand or Blind?

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Clifford Reynolds, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Clifford Reynolds

Clifford Reynolds Fawn

Aug 8, 2017
    New York
    So we have our baits set and ready to go. We’re both mobile hunters and shoot recurve and longbows. I’m thinking of sitting on the ground by one of the baits vs setup in a tree. The group spot is about 15’ away from the barrels vs the closest suitable tree is 20 yards approx. Any thoughts or opinions on ground vs tree stands?

2. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    I prefer a stand myself. Never have liked blind hunting much. I feel limited on visibility and shots.

xbokilla and Clifford Reynolds like this.
  3. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    California ky
    I use both and suggest doing the same. You can make either work well. I think blinds are more forgiving scentwise and can be made to be very comfortable. But you defiantly see and hear less compared to a stand. With that said i hunt twice as much because when its too cold, the wind isnt great, or the weather sucks im still out there... in my blind. When the weather is good and the wind is great im in a stand.

mac0492 and Clifford Reynolds like this.
  4. Clifford Reynolds

Clifford Reynolds Fawn

Aug 8, 2017
    New York
    Thanks carnivore for the suggestion

5. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 8 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    I'm not a traditional archery guy but do hunt with a compound a lot. Both have benefits in certain situations. I di love a blind turkey hunting!!

6. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    I have used blinds for the most part for the last 15 years.

ojibwa62 likes this.
  7. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    I've got a blind, which I'm heading to tonight, that's 15 yards from a cornpile, vs a stand about 75 yards away their main entrance to the field. Bad wind for the stand, but the blind should contain my scent enough with this light north wind. Also helps with the kids moving around

xbokilla likes this.
  8. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 6 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    What blind do you prefer

9. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 6 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    Waco
    As I have gotten older I find myself hunting out of popups a lot more especially on all day sits.. I find that with minimal brushing in deer get used to them fairly quick.. I also have several 18' ladders out and a climber, but I still find myself hunting out of blinds more often than not.

10. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    We got a few blinds and I will get in one on occasion with a gun or crossbow but 80% of the time I’m in a stand. I’m like Littlebear, I’m sure it’s in my mind, but feel like I don’t see as well, definitely don’t have the shot options, and for me I have trouble telling the direction I hear noise. I do think kids, comfort, etc...blinds are better.