Solo Rabbit Hunting

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Bassline89, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Bassline89

Bassline89 Spike

Aug 7, 2018
    Lexington Ky
    Im hoping to go rabbit hunting as soon as the season starts. I don’t have any dogs and at most I’ll have maybe 2 other people with me. Any tips or suggestions from the amount of knowledge in this group? I’ll be hunting on WMA land and I have a private patch or two I might be able to get too.

2. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    With no dogs you’ll be jump shooting rabbits, so the shots will be close. I wouldn’t use a choke over improved cylinder with 6 shot. Focus on the thickets that are armpit high and below. Rabbits like to have cover over their heads to keep the avian predators at bay. Likewise, it’s hard to jump shoot rabbits with your arms tangled by briars.

When you move walk slow in a zig zag pattern focusing on areas of thicker cover. You’ll want to pause fairly often because the rabbits will wait until you pass then get up behind you. Rabbits can’t handle the pause because they think something is about to pounce on them.

I’d always wear a hunters orange hat and vest and make sure your buddies do to. Be sure to spread out so you can cover more ground and not Dick Cheney each other.

Good luck, be safe.

3. KY Swamp Beagler

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    I almost forgot. Trash piles you find around farms are rabbit Mecca. You can usually kick up a few around those but just watch out for nails, glass and other sharp things.

Bassline89 likes this.
  4. Bassline89

Bassline89 Spike

Aug 7, 2018
    Lexington Ky
    Unfortunately, the only chokes I have are Modified and Full.

5. KY Swamp Beagler

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    Use the modified then and go with 6 shot. Just let the rabbit get out a bit farther before shooting.

Bassline89 likes this.
  6. Bassline89

Bassline89 Spike

Aug 7, 2018
    Lexington Ky
    I feel like my reaction time will allow for that lol

Ataulbe1 and KY Swamp Beagler like this.
  7. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 8 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    I would invest in a good pair of briar pants or chaps if you plan on wading through briars. Being your own jump dog can get brutal if you aren't prepared. I have also found rabbits in easier walking stuff like fence rows that are grown up and drainage draws through ag fields.

Bassline89 likes this.
  8. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Underground Bunker in KY
    I used to wear 2 pairs of bluejeans when I was a kid but jeans were probably thicker back then. They stopped a lot of blackberry briars.

9. Bassline89

Bassline89 Spike

Aug 7, 2018
    Lexington Ky
    I’ve got a pair of double front pants that I typically wear when squirrel hunting.

Carl likes this.
  10. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 10 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    Downed cedars, honeysuckle, greenbriers, along railroad tracks, overgrown fence rows, scrap piles (already mentioned)....... nothing like trying to kick up a few rabbits !!! Once you figure out what they like, it gets easier to be more productive in your hunts.

Bassline89 likes this.
  11. BEAGLER89

BEAGLER89 Fawn

Nov 28, 2016
    Richmond, KY
  12. Bassline89

Bassline89 Spike

Aug 7, 2018
    Lexington Ky
    Probably Kleber (or however it is spelled) maybe Griffith and maybe Veterans. I’ve only been to Veterans once and it was miserable.