Skull Mount Results (burial method)

Discussion in 'Taxidermy' started by Hoosier Sasquatch, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Hoosier Sasquatch

Hoosier Sasquatch Spike

Sep 11, 2017
    Madison, Indiana
    Some years ago I tried cleaning a dear skull by simply burying it, having noted how clean specimens found in the woods are. It sounds silly I know, but the results, though they took a few months, were amazing. I made a youtube video of the process. Well, I got to thinking I should show some of the results I have gotten in the years since. It might not be for everyone, like places where you didn't have a good spot or in bear country. ( use common sense here) But if you have a good place to put it, it's easy and very effective ( NOTE: I am not knocking the usual method. Just sharing another easy way that can, and does work. ) Here is the short video: (A link to the first, start to finish process is in the description box)

elkaholic likes this.
  2. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    Do you bury one with the hair and skin on or do you skin it first? I have done plenty by boiling and a few with a pressure washer. The pressure washer method is very messy.

3. Hoosier Sasquatch

Hoosier Sasquatch Spike

Sep 11, 2017
    Madison, Indiana
    That's the beauty...just chuck it in a hole hair and all, and after three warm months it's like a magic trick. A gentle spray with a garden hose and you are done. The origonal vid: ( best watched on computer. old youtube captions don't show on smartphones) a note on the teeth on the one skull: I don't know if that fella was inbred or what but he had some with messed up roots and some missing. truth be told I think they were missing when he died. Never had any trouble with teeth since. They may be a tad loose but that's it.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    elkaholic likes this.
  4. Paige Catchen

Paige Catchen Fawn

Jul 18, 2017
    Lake Cumberlnad
    i have 2 skull mounts how do i clean 1 of them i already have