Shed dog

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by deerhunter24, Mar 21, 2018.

1. deerhunter24

deerhunter24 8 pointer

Mar 4, 2009
    Bracken County
    Is a dog that one year old to old to train to shed hunt?

forager likes this.
  2. nock

nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    I wouldn’t think so.

3. forager

forager 8 pointer

Mar 5, 2017
    planet earth
    What breed do you have?

Make it fun and reinforce with praise and food rewards. If you can get a hold of a piece of antler let your dog chew on it, hide it in the yard, make a game out of it, create a high interest situation where finding the antler is of utmost importance.

Reward with high value treats that you don't normally give your dog, like beef jerky.

Go for a walk in the woods. When you encounter anything deer related, such as scat, hair, bedding area, scrape, rub etc, show your dog and reward it. In time, your dog can put you in the areas where the deer move, increasing your chances of finding sheds.

This takes time and dedication, but the adventures that you will have together will never be forgotten!

One of my dogs was a "problem child." Overprotective, stubborn, vindictive, loved me but hated everyone else. When she was around a year, we hiked in the NC high country. Near the top of this mountain in mid summer, she jumped a cow elk that was bedded down in the blackberry and blueberry bushes. The pride that shown from her as I called her back was unforgettable! This photo of the spot was taken years later when I scattered some of her ashes in memory of the experience.

P1010154.JPG

4. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 10 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    One year old is still a pup

forager likes this.
  5. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 6 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    Take some sheds and throw them for the dog to retrieve, get him or her to do that. After the dog is doing that throw (2or3) of them out in the yard with the dog in house or out of site. Give the dog a word to do this ( Hunt em up, Giddy up, stag...whatever ). When he stumbles on one PRAISE HIM, say Fetch then send him to find another! My dog loves loves loves this game. He gets to run full speed all over the yard searching. Finding three in fifteen minutes is good and he is back in five. Hide them after a while I put one in kiddy pool with one tine sticking up, one in a brush pile another up in a tree a couple feet. If he has trouble and you can still remember where you put it! Walk towards the area and encourage him to look. Make it fun. Nothing bad happens doing this its a good time. They also make bone scent that you can rub on it. Good Luck

forager likes this.
  6. deerhunter24

deerhunter24 8 pointer

Mar 4, 2009
    Bracken County
    appreciate you sharing. It's a beagle. I don't know if a beagle be a good one?

forager likes this.
  7. deerhunter24

deerhunter24 8 pointer

Mar 4, 2009
    Bracken County
    Thanks I appreciate it

8. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 6 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    Yup. He doesn't get antlers to chew in the house BUT I do let him keep the last one he finds to chew for a bit as a reward. When he leaves it alone I pick it up and put it away. I have a German Pudelpointer similar to a Wirehair but I think any dog that has a nose and drive could do this. It amazes me he can smell those things.

9. forager

forager 8 pointer

Mar 5, 2017
    planet earth
    Beagles have a good nose for tracking. Perhaps you can focus on that aspect. Good luck, and let us know what you find!

10. nock

nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    I should probably work with my Aussie. He is almost a year old. We gave him one to chew on when first got him. Guess that’s all it took. Cause he has brought up a buck skull. Then half of another skull (just the antler). Then finally brought back the other side with skull attached. I let him chew on them. I’d say a little work he’d be ok.

forager likes this.
  11. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    My cousin has an AKC lab that will be having pups soon. I am going to get a pup for a shed dog from him.

forager likes this.
  12. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 6 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    I've been working with my 3yr black lab this year, i believe she can learn to find sheads, super smart dog,it's really on me, the amount of time and effort I put into it

forager likes this.
  13. forager

forager 8 pointer

Mar 5, 2017
    planet earth
    That breed loves to please, is high energy and very intuitive. Get out there and let him show you what he can do!