Senior/disabled License survey

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by katlynn, Apr 4, 2017.

1. katlynn

katlynn 6 pointer

Sep 20, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Since I take care of all things computer for my dad, I handle the online purchase of his hunting license. I received a survey from KDFWR regarding these licenses, which are currently $5/year.

My understanding is that KDFWR receives federal funds based on sales and its really the only reason that mom and dad purchase theirs since they hunt only on their own land.

It appears that they are planning to increase these fees to $47.50/year.

Does anyone know if and how much federal funding they receive based on sales? I'm just wondering if they'll be shooting themselves in the foot with this change. I know not everyone has the choice of not buying at all but I suspect there will be many that choose to not buy if they hike rates. There will be three in my family alone that will not be buying licenses if this goes through.

Kathy

kylobo likes this.
  2. Bob.W

Bob.W Fawn

Aug 19, 2013
    Hey Kathy, I am a senior as well and have hunted/fished all my life and looked oh so forward to the day when I could get my license for $5. Spent over $100 a year for 70 years to enjoy my time in the woods and rivers. A few years ago they threatened to double the $5 fee to $10 and that effort was dropped for some reason. Now they are wanting to go to some outrageous amount simply because the seniors are not buying the expensive license but get to enjoy a cheap one for a few years. Their reason for wanting to do this is total BS. I don't know how to combat them on this since they will do what they want and when and if they do, I will become a criminal because I will NOT buy that expensive license. Seniors don't deserve this kind of treatment. Most, myself included, are on a fixed income and rely on the SS money or some kind of retirement money for living and to make seniors pay this kind of fee is simply outrageous and not acceptable. The senior hunting and fishing population in most cases just want to enjoy their time left in life to enjoy the outdoors.

Gooch, davers, kylobo and 1 other person like this.
  3. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Obviously they don't want seniors in the field.

kylobo likes this.
  4. Semp

Semp 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Kaintukee
    I hunt my own land and get the $5 license also. But I'll buy the $30-$50 license if it comes to that. Everything costs money and it seems to me to be money well spent if I can help protect the game species. The CO's don't work for free and we need more of them I think.

The current $5 license price is a joke. Some turkey shells cost more than that each!

Docwaters and KY Swamp Beagler like this.
  5. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Where can I find more information on this ? May be time to light up some phones

6. Gooch

Gooch 8 pointer

Feb 24, 2004
    .lincoln co ky
    jusst because it goes way up in price dont mean we will have more co,s out onpatrol.just greed,and more money to [fall through the cracks].im dead against it.the people that get this have earned it.

7. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 8 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I guess it's like taxes ,if they say it has to be paid,then its gonna be paid,or not hunt and fish.I feel it's all about more money to be wasted,just like other state agencies.Just drive down the road and look what it takes to clean a ditch,one boss in the truck,usually see someone with him,two flag men each driving a truck,one sometimes two driving dump trucks,one on an excavator,two leaning on shovels,one directing the excavator operator and another directing the dump truck drivers.All this taking eight hrs.for about two hrs work.This is what they say is progress.

Munson and Gooch like this.
  8. gds

gds 6 pointer

Jan 2, 2005
    NORTHERN KY.
    I took the survey and they were complaining that they were loosing too much money because of all the " baby boomers " turning 65 .

9. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    I can tell you guys right now that I know several seniors who hunt their own land pretty much exclusively but still buy the $5 license. While they are not dirt poor they are on fixed income and will absolutely not pay that price for one if they raise it. don't get me wrong I can understand a raise but a 900% raise at one time will piss a lot of old guys off. Its still certainly worth it but raising the price 9x at once will no doubt rub people the wrong way.

Munson and Gooch like this.
  10. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

If they are willing to raise the S/D license fee what makes you think a resident deer tag, turkey tag, general hunting license and fishing license will not go up that same percent. Once they find out they can get it.

Gooch likes this.
  11. Semp

Semp 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Kaintukee
  12. Carpdaddy

Carpdaddy 8 pointer

May 12, 2016
    Corbin, Ky
    I also got the survey, then bought my $5 license for probably the last year!

13. davers

davers 10 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I also purchased the $5 Senior License + pitch-in $5 more, just to help the Department of Fish & Wildlife. I own my own property and live on it, so I didn't have to buy the Senior License. However, this rise in price + the drivers license price increase is a huge for folks on a limited income. Many Senior Hunters that don't own hunting property will most likely quit hunting & fishing, due to the price increase, if it is adopted.

KYBOY, Dark Cloud and Gooch like this.
  14. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    This is my thoughts as well.

Which my FIL is 73 and got the survey. In turn he's not in the best health and his mobility (had both knees replaced, hip issues & diabetes) is not that good anymore. He's hunted & fished his whole life but we're lucky to get him to join us on a hunt but a few times a year anymore.

Money isn't the issue to that effect...and has always bought license even though hunting primarily on land he owns. But his opinion is the increase is too much at once considering he actually hunts or fishes maybe twice a year anymore. In turn he told me last night on the phone as I was filling out the survey for him.... that maybe it's just time to give it up completely if that occurs.

I could see going from $5 ....to $20 or even $25..... but 9x is a bit much on the older segment of resident sportsmen. Which I'm sure my comments wont be popular here either... but why not hit the non-resident sportsmen to carry more burden.

Brsutton86, KYBOY and Gooch like this.
  15. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 8 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I have to agree ,if they need more money ,manage better and let some of the cost come from some of the other places .I hunted probably six or eight outings last year including spring turkey ,those were short trips due to health reasons,fishing none.Maybe a reasonable raise if that's the only way,but nine times,that just stupid.If they want to have more doe harvested this sure isn't going to help.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    KYBOY likes this.