Senate Bill 8

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by birdshooter, Mar 3, 2018.

1. birdshooter

birdshooter 6 pointer

Jan 22, 2012
    Greenup Ky
    EMERGENCY
    Start calling Monday!
    1-502-564-8100
    Ask for the office of House Majority Floor Leader "Jonathan Shell".
    Let Representative Shell know that you appreciate him and the other House Leadership for standing up for the Sportsmen by opposing SB 8 and all the other Animal Rights Extremist Bills.

SB 8 gives Animal Rights Extremist the right to break into our vehicles and take our hunting dogs with no liability.

2. forager

forager 8 pointer

Mar 5, 2017
    planet earth
    Full text:
    http://www.lrc.ky.gov/recorddocuments/bill/18RS/SB8/bill.pdf

History: https://legiscan.com/KY/bill/SB8/2018

3. forager

forager 8 pointer

Mar 5, 2017
    planet earth
    Where is the section about animal rights activists and hunting dogs? Fake news!

This is an animal welfare issue that requires citizen cooperation with law enforcement, not vigilantism.

Check out this video and tell me why breaking a window to rescue a puppy from a car on a hot day is wrong?

4. riverview

riverview 8 pointer

Everyone wants the animals to be safe, the problem is some of these HSUS people take it to the extreme. If it's 30 degrees and your beagles are in a dog box, or if they are in a dog box period, they think that is abuse and want to break the locks off to get them out. Removing liability only encourages such behaviour.

5. forager

forager 8 pointer

Mar 5, 2017
    planet earth
    So allowing animals to suffer because of irresponsible ownership should go on?

This makes as much sense as banning guns because what some idiots might do with them.

6. riverview

riverview 8 pointer

Did I say that, pretty sure I said "Everyone wants animals to be safe".

This bill is too broad and ill defined. I have personally experienced disparaging remarks about my bird dogs being transported "in that little dog box" in the back of my truck and it being too cold for those dogs in that box. Thankfully nobody has messed with them while it was in a parking lot somewhere. I know a person who caught someone trying to get the door open on his dog trailer because they were trying to "rescue" a whining puppy.

Your focused on the dog in a hot car with the windows up. But it opens the door to many more problems. I have words with a group of local do gooders every year who think you are abusing your dog if you don't bring him inside when it's 30 degrees.

7. wv67

wv67 6 pointer

Dec 19, 2017
    Southern wva
    LOL. I know around here unless your one of the hunters riding in that truck with that dog box in the back you better not go around it period !! Because with out a doubt you will have your hands full , far as animal cruelty they should put em down with the rapist and child molesters

8. forager

forager 8 pointer

Mar 5, 2017
    planet earth
    The way the bill is written, the "do gooders" have to contact the authorities before accessing the dog, then they have to wait for the cops to show up.

How would you prefer that verbiage be written?

9. Luther's Feist

Luther's Feist 6 pointer

Oct 25, 2014
    Coeburn, Va

Bad thing is you gonna get more time messing with an animal than you would for being a rapist or child molester

10. Luther's Feist

Luther's Feist 6 pointer

Oct 25, 2014
    Coeburn, Va

Gonna sit and wait for the cops to show up, why not just walk in the store and have the manager announce the tag number and vehicle make, have the driver come to his/her vehicle? Get the supposed endangered animal out instead of breaking into a vehicle or just sitting and waiting on the police.

DH13 likes this.
  11. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    RIGHT HERE. I GUESS YOU MISSED THIS PART. THEN IT DEPENDS ON WHAT THE DO GOODER IS FAIR TO THE ANIMAL.
    I MYSELF IS A ANIMAL LOVER. IF I SEE A ANIMAL IN A HOT CAR I WOULD PROBABLY BREAK A WINDOW. BUT THESE DO GOODERS DONT CARE. THEY WILL GO AFTER DOG BOXES TRAILERS OR WHATEVER TO GET THEIR ANIMAL RIGHTS.
    THIS BILL NEEDS TO REAALY SPECIFY IN DETAIL WHAT THESE DO GOODERS SHOULD ACTUALLY CAN TOUCH.
    Has a reasonable and good-faith belief, based on the circumstances, 12
    including but not limited to visual and auditory and sensory 13
    perception, known to the person at the time, that the dog or cat is in 14
    immediate danger of death if not removed from the passenger car or 15
    truck before emergency responders can arrive; 16
    (b) Uses no more force to enter the passenger car or truck and remove the dog 17
    or cat than is reasonably necessary under the circumstances; and 18
    (c) 1. Remains with the dog or cat in a safe location, out of the elements but 19
    reasonably close to the passenger car or truck, until law enforcement, 20
    firefighters, animal control officers, or other emergency responders 21
    arrive; or 22
    2. Reasonably determines that emergency conditions require leaving the 23
    scene with the animal, and places written notice on the passenger car 24
    or truck containing: 25
    a. The person's contact information; 26
    b. The reason entry into the passenger car or truck was made;

12. riverview

riverview 8 pointer

First thing limit it to passenger compartment of vehicle. There is no green house effect in a dog box or trailer.

Second they can only gain access if given permission by law enforcemet after contacting them. Most people have no idea how to tell if a dog is in real danger. Dispatcher can check all the boxes, what's the ambient temperature, is there ventilation, is car running and a.c. on, is vehicle parked in the shade.

Third set some temprature parameters under which action can be taken.

As the law is written after they have contacted law enforcement it is totally up to their judgement on gaining access to the vehicle. And I'm not comfortable with that.

forager likes this.
  13. riverview

riverview 8 pointer

As the bill is written if one of those people who think my dog needs to be in the living room when it's 30 degrees wants to break in my car and take my dog they can. All they have to do is say they feared for the dogs safety.

14. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 10 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    It’s already that way

15. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 10 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    That’s too easy,no headlines