SEMO in the Snow

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by hunt-4-life21, Jan 10, 2019.

1. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    Against my pride, I'm going to ask for helps like a newb. Around here, I've always prayed for rain/snow. That's our best days. You see ducks all day and mainly kill between 10-2. SEMO is a whole different ball game for me. I try to pry all of the men at the lodge we stay at for information. What are the best days, not so best days. But I've never found any information on hunting in the snow out there. I can't make up my mind if I want to go or stay here this weekend. I have a cell cam on our field. It didn't freeze up last night and I'll make sure to check it tomorrow morning to see if it freezes (which I don't think it will). I know if it freezes, go home and wait for the thaw. But what if it's rain/snow and not freezing? What would you do?

2. Rod S.

Rod S. 8 pointer

Oct 20, 2004
    Pewee Valley, Ky.
    GO!!! That's what I'm doing in NEA, not much difference. Don't mind a freeze as long as the Ranger can bust it & your good. Hoping for some new birds

Bowfinger likes this.
  3. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    Just go. Can’t kill them Sittin at the house

4. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    Ducks can get plum retarded in the snow. It throws their internal radar off. GO! If you have ducks, you should kill them. Some of my most memorable shoots have happened in the snow.

Rob DeHaven and Brsutton86 like this.
  5. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    Me 2, love a good snow hunt!

Marsh CallUser and Rob DeHaven like this.
  6. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I love hunting in the snow. IF there are birds around. Some of my best hunts was in the snow. Only thing I hate about it is if it is still snowing. Is keeping the decoys cleaned off.

7. Marsh CallUser

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    So, did the OP kill ducks? Enquiring minds want to know.

Giveem3outdoors likes this.
  8. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    No. Killed 0 Friday and Saturday. Killed 1 Sunday. It never snowed there. We all thought with the incoming snow storm it would push birds down and make the birds that were there fly. Instead, the birds that were there sat for two days. I think they lost 75% of the birds that they had. We saw less birds Friday and Saturday than any time this year. Sunday, birds were stirring around but nothing would work. Still, not many birds. Even the snow geese and specks have moved on. We seen a few groups of migrators come from the north but very few. We were probably too early for a push. Probably should’ve stayed home.

My lease partner got invited on a hunt Friday morning at home but declined so we could get an early start on the weekend in the boot. They shot 21 and a band by lunch. We didn’t fire a shot. He was kinda bummed.

9. Bee

Bee 8 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    Friends who have had fabulous SEMO leases for years have had a season so bad this year they are considering giving up the leases. Guys who have duck hunted a long long time.

10. Marsh CallUser

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    Fellas, this is an el Nino year. Duck hunting always sucks during el Nino years.

DH13 and Giveem3outdoors like this.
  11. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    I've talked to a lot of guys at the lodge. Everyone says the same thing. Worst season in 10 years. One guy I talked to Saturday night said this was year 12 in his "club". They usually kill 600 in a pit hunted every day. He said it's the worst year he's ever seen. He also said to not judge your pit by this year but that's hard not to.

12. Born to Hunt

Born to Hunt 8 pointer

Oct 20, 2005
    Edmonton, KY
    I've hunted in Arkansas for 12 years. I work so I can't go every day, but I'll average 20-25 days per season. The past 6 seasons, I've had the privilege of hunting one of the best properties I've ever seen for duck hunting. One of our blinds produced an average of 650 birds per season and would have done much better if it was hunted harder, but most of us like to hunt the woods and other spots quite a bit too. That said- that blind shot 0 ducks last season and has produced less than 100 this season. I maintain close connections to a number of clubs in the NE Ar area close to where we hunt- they have all had the worst year ever. I know of one club near Corning that had not shot the first duck until last week. We had the best opening day we've ever had, but man did it go south quickly.

We've had birds the whole season, but you can't do a thing with them. Big spreads, small spreads, no spreads, no calling, a lot of calling- nothing has worked. They have the playbook lol. I have a feeling a whole lot of clubs in NE AR will be seeking members for the 19-20 season.

13. Rod S.

Rod S. 8 pointer

Oct 20, 2004
    Pewee Valley, Ky.
    No birds plain & simple. Poor rabbits & squirrels in NEA are sure paying for no ducks.

Titus and hunt-4-life21 like this.