Saw a Beautiful Buck Last Night

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Hoosier Sasquatch, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Hoosier Sasquatch

Hoosier Sasquatch Spike

Sep 11, 2017
    Madison, Indiana
    Whenever I drive along the old Jefferson Proving Ground ( Now Big Oaks NWR ) fence, I always keep one eye fixed, gecko-like, on the refuge. Last night at dusk I spotted a beautiful buck, just standing out by the refuge road. He had eight distinct points, and they were long, even though they might still put on an inch or two. G-3's were at least five inches. He had those rare ears you see on some bucks that look more "pointy" than others. Real post card looking deer. I got a good--albeit brief--look and I'd say he'll gross in the 150's eventually. I'd bet every dime I have that he'd go 140 net now as an eight, and that's being conservative.

Sure gets you thinking! Here's hoping all of you get a 20 yard look at a similar creature through the sight of your choice.

2. bah1286

bah1286 6 pointer

Jul 29, 2014
    Shew that seems like a risky bet. It takes an amazing 8 to hit 150. Talking 25-26 inch main beams, 5 inch brows and averaging 12 or so on your 2s and 3s. Not figuring up the rest but I would still say with a 20 inch inside spread you would have to have amazing amounts of mass to get to 150. You lose that last mass measurement on an 8 which hurts as much as those extra points a big 10 gives you.

Regardless, big 8s are awesome no matter the score. Biggest deer I am currently seeing is a big 8.

3. Tufrthnails

Tufrthnails 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2014
    Lakeland, FL

Sounds similar to a monster 8 I seen in Union county last year from the road. There are Big 8's and then there is holy crap look at that stud 8!

4. Hoosier Sasquatch

Hoosier Sasquatch Spike

Sep 11, 2017
    Madison, Indiana
    You could be right, but I'm telling you, this was a monster. I'm no trophy hunter, but if that thing walked out of the bushes I'd hook up the release so fast I'd out-draw John Wesley Hardin. I don't think I've ever seen a bigger 8. Or prettier. I wish I could have had a longer look.

5. slickhead slayer

slickhead slayer 12 pointer

Nov 14, 2005
    VP OF ADMIN Development
    You don't lose any mass measurements on an 8. They all have the same number of mass measurements.

6. bah1286

bah1286 6 pointer

Jul 29, 2014
    You are right.

7. useyourbow

useyourbow 12 pointer

This thread is useless without pictures.

Nock and cedar ridge like this.