Sauger

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by deerjw, Oct 29, 2018.

1. deerjw

deerjw 6 pointer

Feb 20, 2005
    Henderson, KY
    Anybody catching sauger yet?

2. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    I guess you can catch them all year.

I don’t do much good until December. At least for really good ones.

The last two years the river level has been too high during prime time though.

3. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    I guess its going to be another one of those years the river stays high all season.

4. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 8 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
  5. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    None from me!! Would like to hear some though. I plan to hit below wolf creek dam starting in January. Depending on the year a fella might catch a few or he might not catch any. Hoping for some walleye movement too. When I get out I will post any results.

6. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 8 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    Just got to our place in Burkesville last night. River down here is blown out and looks like coffee. Plan on picking up the boat and heading up to the dam tomorrow.

7. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

We don't have many Sauger around me. Wish they would stock some Walleye in Lake Malone rather than the thousands of channel catfish they do.
    On the note of the rivers being messed up they are not the only thing brown. Just drove past one of the watershed lakes I fish some during the winter and it is major brown. Only has a small creek that runs thru it and it is out of the banks bigtime. Told the wife if I owned a nearby field I would put a nice waterfowl blind in it, it floods that much.

8. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Would sauger survive in Malone?

9. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

You can catch some Sauger over on the Green at Rochester and other dams along the run I have been told but has been years since I fished there. I don't know that may be why they have not ever tried them in Malone. Walleye like rocks and gravel and Malone has plenty of rocks and gravel. I don't think the temps would be any issue as some more southern lakes have them. Heck I would settle for Yellow Perch and they do well in lakes and even small ponds up north. I know a few have found their way into Ky lake because the state record was caught there. I remember when they tried to stock Northern Pike in some of the Peabody lakes one year but they never took for some reason. Always thought it would be funny to watch a bass fisherman try and lip one of them things like they do a bass. Bet you could have heard some words you never heard before if they did.
    The state did stock a few hundred rainbow trout in the spillway hole couple years ago. Only 3 of us figured it out (and two of the guys were either active CO or retired CO) what to use and how to use things to catch any. Tom Culton used a trout magnet lure under a tiny float and did well. Everyone wanted to fish that hole when the trout didn't stay there but moved to swift water downstream and a Roostertail was the trick for me and Scott Mc just tossed out and let swing with the current.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  10. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I don’t know either. I thought sauger needed flowing water but not sure if that’s correct or not. I’ve caught a few on Kentucky while bass fishing but they were near the river channel.

11. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Only Sauger I have caught in Ky was below Barkley dam while fishing for whatever bit. Fished a city park lake in Sullivan Indiana for crappie that had a healthy population of Saugeye but they tended to only reach about 12 inches long and around pound or so. Hit a two inch twister tail just like a Crappie.

12. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    If you are in bg, before you go to Malone, go below #5 or greencastle.

13. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I am about 200 yards from lake Malone. Fished it the first day it was legal to do so even.

14. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    Keep the Yankee fish up north.

Sauger like running, dirty water. Green below #5 and further down. Above that water stays too clear and is too small. Enviro-hippies took out #6 so it ain't worth a flip now. Below grl you have walleye and muskie. It ain't very deep below Woodbury till you get to the first big bend. Never had the boat below Rochester on account of them closing the ramp at peabody. Next ramp ds is in Hartford I think and it is on the wrong side of the river for me. Long drive.

Old rock dam in bg and below greencastle.

15. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

You can put in at the dam at Rochester, just follow the road down past the small overlook park and go right then straight. Guys been putting in small boats there forever. Just make sure you go downstream a bit before heading towards the dam. Large rock shelf between the launch spot and main river. Also last I heard the ramp downstream of the TVA plant was open. Only closed until they cleaned it up from high water muck.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019