Sauger Time!

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by Happy Camper, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Happy Camper

Happy Camper 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2013
    Feels like its time to hit the river for some sauger. The river looks to be at least 4 to 5 feet below what it takes to start fishing but, it's about that time.

2. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    I don't do much good until Dec. seems like.

3. Happy Camper

Happy Camper 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2013
    I heard of a few catches recently but looks like the river will be blown out for a few days now.

4. Happy Camper

Happy Camper 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2013
    A fishing buddy and I went to Greenup this morning to try our hand at the sauger finally. Fished 4 hours with all different colors of jigs and minnows. The water clarity was 6-8 inches, water was at 16 feet when we got there and a bit over 21 when we left. Not a single sauger bite. I managed the only bite of the day, and landed a 22 inch walleye or like I like to call her, supper.

Water is being blown out and supposed to be past 42 feet tomorrow. Looks like it will be a week or two before being fishable again. It was a good day to be on the water, regardless of the bite.

bondhu likes this.
  5. Happy Camper

Happy Camper 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2013
    Blanked today, 2 of us at Greenup early this morning. Everything looked right, great weather, water at 25 feet and rising, no bites. Navigated the ice chunks, some as large as a fridge getting to and from the fishing hole. The water was muddy with maybe 2 inches of visibility. I'm guessing it's going to need a few more days to clear up after that 48 foot blowout last week, and the rain to come tomorrow.

The ramp hadn't been scraped and had 6 to 8 inches of the slick slimey mud at top with sand you could catch on towards the bottom.

Be safe and careful of the ice and mud the next couple of days should you go.

6. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 6 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    Cumberland River Sauger?...Anyone? Coming down this weekend and wanted to try it. Any reports?

7. Happy Camper

Happy Camper 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2013
    Given up on the water to even have a chance of being fishable before the end of spawn. Made 2 trips caught 1 walleye, just too much water the entire season.

Looks like we're in a holding pattern until April and the Lake Erie reefs for some eyes.

bondhu likes this.
  8. Wampuscat

Wampuscat 10 pointer

Apr 10, 2009
    Louisville
    Unfortunately I think you’re right. Same here. And Lake Erie is where it’s at. Some studs in them waters.

9. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

If you go the charter boat way and want to have some fun after catching Walleye tell the captain before hand you want to fish for White Bass after catching the Walleye limit. You paid for so many hours anyway. We did that and had a blast. 6 guys fishing, 502 on day one 512 on day two in just one hour to one and a half hours of fishing. I tied on 3 cheap feather jigs and caught 3 at a time a few cast. All around a pound and a half.

308 likes this.
  10. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 6 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    Headed up to Erie the 13-15 of april.

11. Happy Camper

Happy Camper 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2013
    We are also going in April. Jig fishing the reefs is awesome in April. Staying on Camp Perry and putting in at Wild Wings or Fenwick.

Have some friends and charter captains up there burning up the pigs east of Kelleys and on the shoals as I type this. They are reporting clean water out by West Sister and the Toledo intake with limits.

My favorite words in April, "Fish On!"

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018