Sandhill Crane Voting Today

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by DJTrey, Jun 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DJTrey

DJTrey Fawn

Aug 31, 2009
    Bowling Green, Kentucky
    The state is voting on the controversial Sandhill Crane season today.

http://bit.ly/jxe2Ed

2. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    Yea, the liberal rag Herald Leader ran not one, but two biased anti crane season pieces yesterday

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  3. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Did you notice Pett's cartoon? All the bird watchers were clean shaven and happy looking, and the hunter was depicted as a disheveled bum smoking a cigarette.

I guess all us slovenly hunters can find a better way to spend a dollar day, rather than buy a copy of their liberal drivel.

4. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    J-Town
    Interestingly, there was nothing in the C-J about it. They ran a letter against it a week or so ago and thats it.

5. Coot_Meurer

Coot_Meurer 10 pointer

Nov 4, 2006
    Not here anymore
    Crane season passed today - makes KY the first state E of the MISS to have a season. :)

on kentucky.com (The Lexington Herald Lie-der) you can find the article. Predictably the anti-hunters are responding with names and ignorance. I had to jump in and make a post just to stir things up.

6. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    It is not a done deal yet. The regulations has to clear the Legislative Regulation Review Committee first. You can bet the anti's are gonna work this hard. EVERYONE needs to call the legislative members on this committee and voice their opinion

7. llewellin1

llewellin1 Fawn

Mar 20, 2011
    Sandyhook Kentucky
    Everyone does need to support this and call. Don't give the anti hunters an opprotunity to restrict our sporsmans rights.

8. wprebeck

wprebeck 10 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    I went to the LRC page, and couldn't find that committee...is it the Administrative Regulation Review Subcommittee, and if not, do you have a link to the one you are talking about. I'm a registered lobbyist for my job, so theres not a lot I can really do with this, but I will put it out for others to call about, if you can get me a list of the committee members.

If its the other, they meet on 6/14 at 1 pm in room 149 of the Annex.

9. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
  10. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I can't help but wonder if Indiana will follow suit since the sandhill's that pass thru Kentucky for the most part spend a lot of time in the fall up in northwest Indiana at Jasper Pulaski fish and wildlife area. If they don't there are going to be some ticked off hunters up there. Used to hunt ducks and geese there and those sandhill's were there in the thousands each fall. And protected to the max....they would darn near put you under the jail if you shot one.

Link to site of the Fish and Wildlife area where they stop on migration each direction.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/3109.htm

11. maxcam

maxcam 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2005
    All I want to know is...... How do they taste?

12. Valley Station

Valley Station Cyber-Hunter

Looks like they'd be like eatin' a "shikpok", all wings , long legs , neck and beak.

13. grouseguy

grouseguy Cyber-Hunter

There is a reason they are referred to as: "Ribeye in the Sky". They don't have a very large breast, but it is VERY good tablefare.

You'd like it!!!

14. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    I wish they migrated through here. I'd work a couple of them over.

15. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

You hear a few flock pass thru here in the fall....it would take a fighter jet tho to get to em....they do tend to fly a bit high when moving.

About the only way anyone is going to get into them is find were they roost for the night and follow them to where they feed during the day and ambush them there. They do a sprial flight out of their refuge quite high before moving out then sprial back down when going to roost. With the sizes of the flocks I have seen up north a fellow would go broke if they tried to buy enough crane decoys to make them even give you a second look.

I would bet there will not be enough killed in Ky season to fill a short bed pickup

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.