Salamanders (Forced air heaters)

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by KYBOY, Jan 4, 2018.

1. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    We need to buy a small salamander(what everyone around here calls a forced air heater) My wifes work shop is a metal building with lots of equipment in it. Concrete floor. Its hard as hell to warm up. We have a 30K btu radiant wall heater but with temps what they are right now it dosnt really make a dent. Roof is insulated but not walls(yet) its 22'x20'..
    It makes working in there almost unbearable not to mention some of the equipment dosnt wrok well until it heats up some..
    Looking at getting a forced air heater in the 60K range. I know my heater makes one and another popular brand is the dyna glo that lowes,rural-king,walmart etc sells.
    These are the propane powered heaters..I know about ventilation requiments and that's not a problem..
    Any suggestions on brand etc? thanks

2. buckfever2

buckfever2 6 pointer

Jan 3, 2009
    I just bought 2 Master brand from tractor supply. A 225,000 and a 165,000. Very nice heaters for the money.

KYBOY likes this.
  3. Winchester94

Winchester94 Fawn

Mar 21, 2016
    I have a Reddy Heater, propane salamander that I have had for probably 15 years or more. It is 65,000 BTU, I have been really happy with it. Tractor Supply used to sell them, I don't know if still do or not.

KYBOY likes this.
  4. slickhead slayer

slickhead slayer 12 pointer

Nov 14, 2005
    VP OF ADMIN Development
    I've got a couple, but with the cold weather I had numerous rental properties with frozen pipes this week. So I had to rent a couple in addition to my two. The ones I rented were kerosene instead of propane. I think I liked the kerosene better, it's much easier to refuel than getting propane filled.

KYBOY likes this.
  5. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    rush, ky, USA.
    Got one from tractor supply, it's a master brand kerosene/ diesel. I only run diesel in it and it does a fine job and has a thermostat on it that works pretty well.

KYBOY likes this.
  6. SmokeShow

SmokeShow 10 pointer

Nov 11, 2013
    Sorry to side track just a little but I have one that won't light off. Anyone know where I can get it looked at in the Central KY area? It sparks and will flash off with a hit of ether but that still won't get it to fuel on it's own.

7. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 8 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    I've got the same problem sometimes I can tap on it a little bit and it will work but forget about it if it's super cold outside

8. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 8 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    I think they also have a little fuel filters in them could be clogged up

9. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    My buddy got a screaming deal on a huge salamander. He bought a 400,000 BTU industrial salamander that runs off propane or natural gas with the flip of a switch(has a valve in it,no changing hardware). Thermostat,electric start and everything. He has it plumbed with natural gas just like a stove.
    It heats his big tool store with no problem. It retails for about $2300 and he got it for about $400..
    this one here...
    https://www.grainger.com/product/SURE-FLAME-46-x-18-x-24-Portable-Gas-5PFW3