Running Yotes with Dogs?

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Rob7, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Rob7

Rob7 6 pointer

Oct 18, 2004
    Just had a guy at work show me some pictures of a buddy of his from Vermont that runs coyotes with dogs. Evidently they get several people, surround a patch of woods, send the dogs in and then they will run a coyote out. Anybody do that here in KY and is it legal to do that? The tailgate picture he showed had 5 yotes on it from one morning of hunting. Evidently its pretty effective for them.

2. Panther45

Panther45 6 pointer

Sep 25, 2013
    I know of some fox lots (doubt that any still exist now) that would trap coyotes and release them in the lots. Lots of fox hunters got upset about it and I understand. You check out some youtube videos of hunting yotes out west with dogs. They use a greyhound cross to run them down. Pretty neat.

3. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    Up north they run coyotes with foxhounds. I’ve also heard about people using beagles, too. It’s more popular up there than down south.

Typically, the Midwest is where they use sight hounds for coyotes as it’s flatter country.

4. forager

forager 8 pointer

Mar 5, 2017
    planet earth
    Here you go!

baknblack likes this.
  5. KYhunter

KYhunter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    In Kansas and Iowa they have greyhounds that run them down, then they send in a "kill" dog to finish off the hunt.

6. Rob7

Rob7 6 pointer

Oct 18, 2004
    Thanks for the replies. Looks like a few different methods for chasing yotes with dogs. I am trying to talk the guy at work into inviting his buddy down to run yotes. Would definitely like to see this.

7. KY Swamp Beagler

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    I believe the OP was referring to using running foxhounds to trail the coyote by scent and then ultimately the dogs kill it when bayed up. The guys that used beagles shot the coyote out in front of the hounds.

8. forager

forager 8 pointer

Mar 5, 2017
    planet earth
    Using dogs to locate and attract coyotes within rifle range seems ethical. Using dogs to kill coyotes doesn't seem like a humane way to hunt. Rather, the "hunter" is just letting the dogs tear an animal apart while it is still alive. Hardly "hunting."

9. baknblack

baknblack 8 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Mt Washington
    Pretty cool

10. KY Swamp Beagler

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    So, if my hounds run a rabbit for hours upon hours and eventually run it down and kill it it’s not ethical? But, if my hounds run a rabbit for hours upon hours and I eventually shoot it it’s ethical?

Interesting...

11. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    ain't it though

barney likes this.
  12. Panther45

Panther45 6 pointer

Sep 25, 2013
    They never released a "kill" dog in the video I watched. The greyhounds take care of the yote. Never knew greyhounds could be the aggressive.

13. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 6 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    I don't want to see a poor helpless animal suffer but ,Not a big fan of those stinking coyotes I don't care if a dog ripped them into pieces, after they got done killing some of my newborn calf's that were alive

14. forager

forager 8 pointer

Mar 5, 2017
    planet earth
    Yes, it is about a quick kill. Granted, sometimes we wing or wound an animal, but ethical hunters do their best to be accurate and to recover the carcass. I respect these hunters on here who ask for tracking tips and advice on recovery of an animal that they shot.

Letting a dog tear a coyote to pieces while it is still alive is just another form of dog fighting. I understand that coyotes kill pets and livestock and need to be eliminated, but doing so in a humane manner is how it should be done. This is the way I was raised.

15. cityslicker

cityslicker 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2010
    Hart county
    Watch out it's the ethics police. Just because you don't agree with someone's methods doesn't mean they shouldn't do it. If it's legal then people can hunt how they please.