Rowan Co. Daniel Boone National forest?!

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Scottybmsu, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Scottybmsu

Scottybmsu Fawn

Jul 26, 2017
    Rowan co
    Where are some good public lands around Rowan co. to hunt. I know a lot of people talk about DBNF but I'm not to sure where you can hunt it, is it all open for hunting unless stated otherwise or is there just spots open for hunting?

Thank you for helping me out I just graduated from MSU and moved to morehead

2. Scottybmsu

Scottybmsu Fawn

Jul 26, 2017
    Rowan co
    Also I'm looking for a place to fall turkey hunt with a compound bow and a shot gun

3. richief

richief 10 pointer

Jun 20, 2012
    down a holler SE KY
    The field guide has a list of public hunting areas, sf, wma's. Walmart prob has them out.

Scottybmsu likes this.
  4. Scottybmsu

Scottybmsu Fawn

Jul 26, 2017
    Rowan co
    Okay thank you!

5. Teach Deer

Teach Deer 6 pointer

Aug 4, 2013
    Georgetown
    Scotty,

The area that I hunt is located off of Big Perry Road (KY 799) right before you get back to the interstate...lots of area in there...use to have a lot of deer (not so many lately)...

Prepare for the possibility of snakes in that area (there seems to be quiet a few)--definitely a heavy leather or snake boot area...

6. Beanee Weenee

Beanee Weenee Fawn

Mar 1, 2010
    Ashland, ky
    If you are interested in black power weapons, and bow hunting the pioneer weapons area has several thousand acres to hunt. This are is restricted to black powder and bow hunting. You can access it by taking the road to the Zipo camp grounds. This road runs smack dab thru the middle of it.

7. Good advice all. I would suggest you visit the Forest Service office located on Rt 801 about 1/4 south of the turn to the Dam at Cave Run Lake. They have some nice maps which show where hunting is allowed and where it is not. Plus, sometimes the rangers will let you know where they may have seen game or sign in the woods. I know that there is no hunting near the camp grounds and recreation areas like Twin Knobs or Zilpo and the land between the lake and Rt 801 as well as the land near the Dam is off limits. Most of the rest is open to hunting. Just be aware that the DBNF is not always a contiguous tract of land. Often private land is interspersed with the public land. If in doubt, ask. If your hunting methods allows you to hunt the pioneer weapons area, that is a good spot. I think it gets less hunting pressure than some of the others. Just my opinion. That said, I rarely ever see another hunter and the forest is so large that if you do, there is plenty of other room to divert and avoid spoiling another hunter's efforts. Closer to season you can scout and use a crow or owl call to make the turkey shock gobble to find them.

You will be well served to spend time this summer cultivating relationships with private land owners too. The private farms seem to have more game in my opinion than the DBNF. I suppose it is lack of hunting pressure at all. I have found that if I do a farmer a service such as offering to thin out the coyotes on his land in the off season, he will let me do that and as he gets to know me and learns that I am a responsible, safe, courteous hunter, I will ask to hunt squirrel or rabbits or upland birds. Few people hunt them anymore and once that step is made, you can ask about the more desirable Turkey or Deer hunting. No guarantees but taking some fresh squirrel or grouse to an elderly land owner who cannot get out anymore is a great way to make friends.

Irish