Rifled slug barrel, sabot or rifled slug?

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by jblack1, Feb 8, 2019.

1. jblack1

jblack1 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
    I just ordered a new mossberg 500 combo from Buds gunshop,
    The combo has a rifled slug barrel and the vent rib barrel,
    which ammo is best suited for a rifled barrel?
    I've never owned or shot a rifled slug gun before.
    I have searched on google and some say that the sabot is what I need.
    $295 plus tax and free shipping for a wood Mossberg 500 with 2 barrels was cheap enough for me to try.
    I've always wanted a slug gun but just never really needed one,
    so I bought this combo so I can give it to my 10 year old son when he turns 12.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...+26ac%2f24rsrb

ojibwa62 likes this.
  2. Meatstick

Meatstick 10 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
  3. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    California ky
    Rifled slugs are for smooth bores, sabots are for rifled barrels.

ojibwa62 and davers like this.
  4. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    If your shotgun "Slug" barrel is rifled then use only sabot loaded ammo. Shooting Foster Slugs (for smooth bores) will only lead-up your barrel, and accuracy will be poor. Remington use to offer "Buck Hammer" sabot slugs for rifled barrels, which gave excellent accuracy, but they discontinued them a few years ago, for some unknown reason.

ojibwa62 likes this.
  5. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N.O.T.W
    My Mossberg really likes Hornady 300gr sst 3 shot groups around 4" to 5" at 200yds.. mine is an older model and I did pin the barrel and the scope is mounted to the receiver and it's not cantilevered.. it is basically a dedicated slug gun now..
    For the record I love shooting deer with a slug gun it's like hitting them with a sledgehammer.

carnivore likes this.
  6. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    California ky
    I messed this up years ago and did not do any research just assumed rifled slugs were for rifled barrels. I got frustrated with my lack of accuracy out of my smoothbore with sabots so i bought a rifled barrel continued the be disappointed with my rifled slugs... so i bought a deer rifle lol. I later found (when used properly) slugs are devastating to a deer. I love them.

ojibwa62 likes this.
  7. jblack1

jblack1 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
    I know how devastating slugs are,
    I'd like to start applying for Ft. Campbell,
    and I've just always wanted a slug gun and for $300 I can have one and a vent rib smooth barrel also.

carnivore likes this.
  8. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    loved the buckhammers. my 870 would put three shots touching at 100. awesome accuracy at a good price compared to the high dollar loads out there.

davers likes this.
  9. eshoremd

eshoremd Fawn

May 20, 2012
    Get yourself 4 or 5 boxes of different loads and go to a range and see what groups the best. Or you could save a few dollars if you could get 3 shells from different buddies that shoot different loads.

10. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N.O.T.W
    Better get a lead sled too or you will regret it the next day...

11. eshoremd

eshoremd Fawn

May 20, 2012
    Shhhhhh! lol

ojibwa62 likes this.
  12. jblack1

jblack1 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
    I don't have to get it perfectly dialed in on just one day
    I've shot slugs before and know they thump on both ends
    that's the reason for the 20 instead of a 12,
    If the 20 isn't powerful enough to down anything that we will be hunting then we'll need something a whole lot bigger than 12 too.

13. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I used 20 gauge Buck Hammers, in Indiana, and found them to be superior as to accuracy and knock-down power. Also perfect for hunting in brush or deep wooded areas, where the range is < 75 yards.

14. Teach Deer

Teach Deer 6 pointer

Aug 4, 2013
    Georgetown
    You need to pick up a variety of different types to try (one box only)...my Remington 1100 really loves Hornady SSTs, some guns like other things...just make sure they are a sabot...

First day out, start at a reasonable range (25 or 50 yards) with a large target (think 3'x3') and a small aiming point...keep the same aiming point (do NOT adjust the sights) and shoot all five shells carefully...then mark (photograph) the pattern and measure the spread...you are looking for the sabot type that your gun really likes...when you discover which type produces that magical super tight pattern, go and buy several boxes of that type...

A sled will make this process (and later sighting in) a bit more pleasant...these loads are not gentle on the shoulder...especially from a bench​

Then you can sight the gun in for point of impact...I suggest 50 yard zero for iron sights, 100 yard zero for most standard sabots, and 150 yard zero for SSTs...

My set up is a Remington 1100 with a fully rifled barrel with iron sights...I had the receiver D&T and mounted a short rail and a Nikon 3-9x40 with QD quadlock rings...shooting the Hornady SSTs... I used this set up for years at Fort Knox before all of the changes (the firearm registration in person on base)...

Saw a number of guys mount scopes in shoot-through rings on their Remington shotguns too...(likely just like their 742, 7400 hunting rifles)...

15. jblack1

jblack1 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
    I'm pretty sure the receiver is drilled and tapped for a scope,
    I plan on putting a 4 power scope on it for slugs.

The main reason for buying it, is to give it to my son later in life.
    I have an Ithaca M-66 in 20G that will be his also but it's a single shot and I've had it for over 30 years, it was my 18th birthday gift from my sister and B-I-L.

I have some Brenneke sabots in my buds shopping cart under $5 per box,
    but I'd like to have hands on the 20 before I start buying a bunch of ammo, I figure the 20 should be here by the middle of next week.