reloading bench ideas

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by 1wildcatfan, Sep 13, 2018.

1. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    haven't reloaded in 25 yrs. i've been accumulating components for the past year gearing up for retirement. come March 1 i'll have a lot of time on my hands and will finally get to start playing with powder, brass and bullets. looking for ideas for an actual reloading bench. what works for you, what doesn't. i know everyone has their own system, just looking for suggestions. i was looking at these benches.
    https://www.americanworkbench.com/

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  2. mike goodlett

mike goodlett 6 pointer

Aug 28, 2009
    Mount Sterling ky.
    Man those are nice I made mine out of two by fours turn up on the edge. It's thick and sturdy its 23 two by fours glued and screwed together for the top. I put t nut's in the top and mount my case trimmer and powder measure to wood so i could screw them down when using them and then be able to remove them out of the way.

3. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    any chance you could post a pic? what size is your top? happy with that size or wish you did a different size? those benches in that link are beautiful but extremely expensive.

4. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    A section of Glulam, or Versa-lam beam would be a good economical bench top.

5. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 10 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Dat gone Barney you’re talking over my head,I don’t even know what that is.

barney likes this.
  6. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    It's engineered lumber used for beams and headers.

The Glulams are 2X4's glued together to make a beam, and the Versa-lam, or lvl (laminated veneer lumber) is basically 2" thick plywood. Both come in various widths and lengths.

I built my shop workbench out of some leftover pieces of lvl years ago and it has held up well!

Dark Cloud likes this.
  7. 300winmag

300winmag 12 pointer

Sep 1, 2009
    Taylorsville
    Don't overthink it, You can build one WAY less than that. You're gonna be retired, try stuff and settle on something. Use the extra cash for powder, bullets, and primers. Enjoy retirement!

JR PORTER likes this.
  8. Poorboy

Poorboy 6 pointer

Feb 23, 2005
    under the bank
    I built mine, but if I was going to do it over I would go to Harbor Freight. They have some nice options.

9. mike goodlett

mike goodlett 6 pointer

Aug 28, 2009
    Mount Sterling ky.
    I will try and put a pic on here. It's 48 by 29 3/4 inches. It cost me just over a hundred bucks. I put leg levellers on because my basement floor isn't exactly level. I got the ideal on Pinterest you should look on there. I cover the top with veneer plywood and polyed it.

10. mike goodlett

mike goodlett 6 pointer

Aug 28, 2009
    Mount Sterling ky.
    I tried to put a pic on here my phone and failed . I will try on my computer later.

11. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    I found an old solid core door that was smooth on both sides. I mated it with the bottom of an old kitchen cabinet and presto! A solid heavy reloading bench that's roomy and has room for a bunch of equipment to be bolted to it. My other work bench is just a 4x8 piece of 3/4 inch plywood cut lengthwise into equal halves and glued to double thickness. Slap it on a 2x6 frame with 4x4 legs with some deck screws and there you go. Make the back 2 or 3 4x4s longer and use them to fasten shelves to. It doesn't have to be 8 feet long. The double thickness gives it a real heavy substantial feel and will take some beating. I just slapped on the poly real heavy after a little sanding and it makes it slicker and easier to clean up oil, etc.

Gnarly and Dark Cloud like this.
  12. Drahts

Drahts 10 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    I found someone getting rid of an old formica countertop with backsplash. I put it at the right height for me in a chair, then I have some small item drawers for holding bullets for diff calibers, primers, shell holders, etc. And I have a 48" wide kitchen cabinet for powder, books, dies, etc hanging above the counter. I also have some rolling rubbermaid drawers that fit under the countertop for holding coffee cans of brass. I put an oak board 3/4" under the counter where the presses mount for added strength. I have 2 shotgun presses and rifle press on mine. Don't ask for a picture, it's under a ton of crap right now, I'm working on finishing the inside of my garage and the shop took the brunt of the junk that was in the garage! But congrats on the future retirement, I highly recommend it but you will be way busier after retirement than before I promise you. But you can also pick and choose when you do what work you have to do and when ya hunt! ;) You can also put bourbon in your morning coffee if you choose too! ;)

13. KYBOB

KYBOB 8 pointer

Dec 26, 2009
    Barren Co.
    Hey there WC fan. It kinda depends on how much room you have. Yea, it’s kinda nice to have everything mounted permanent, but not necessary. Realistically you are only using between around 2 to 4 feet of length and about 1-1/2 to 2 feet deep. Just change out loaders as necessary. Another good option is mounting a sturdy top to a roll tool chest. You’ll have drawers for dies and such and can be rolled out of the way when not in use.
    Another tip , don’t overlook good ( lightly ) used presses, of casting equipment. Even dies ( as long as they’re not rusty ). Most can be bought for way less than new.
    As long as it’s sturdy and convenient.
    KyBoB
    PS, you won’t save any money, but you’ll shoot a lot more.

Gnarly likes this.
  14. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    J-Town
    What's your budget? Myself, because I really don't care what it looks like, just how functional it is, I found someone looking to get rid of some countertops and told them I'd come get them. Now I just have to find someone giving away cabinet bases and I'm set. Or, I'm going to build the base from some 2x4's and go from there.

My last one I had was a wooden workbench that made from 2x4's and 2x6's. It was at bar height. That was nice for a workbench and to work on stuff, but really too tall for reloading--it worked, but having to stand all the time got old. So in our new house, I'm building the reloading bench from the parts above and the workbench is going in the garage.

1wildcatfan and Dark Cloud like this.
  15. Gnarly

Gnarly 6 pointer

Nov 12, 2008
    Crossroads to Nowhere,KY
    These first 3 sentences sum up exactly what my brothers and I did! except the base is a 7' long 6-drawer low chest from a hotel sale ($30). Screwed and glued a piece of shelving board along the back edge as a backstop....because stuff is gonna roll off, sometimes.
    Probly weighs 350#.
    Put your new bench on heavy duty rollers; the kind that lock in place. You'll thank me later.