Recommendation on robot vacuum cleaner

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by xtrema2, Jan 13, 2019.

1. xtrema2

xtrema2 8 pointer

Dec 18, 2005
    henderson
    Well, I'm looking to surprise the wife with a robotic vacuum cleaner, problem is that I know nothing about them. Can anyone point me in the right direction. Would like to stay under 300 dollars and my house is hard floors only, no carpet at all. Thanks

2. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Good friend of ours ,bought one at Lowe’s ,works pretty good for him.I think he paid a little more than three for it ,I believe four hundred.

xtrema2 likes this.
  3. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

You can find Roombas for around $260. I've had one for a couple of years. They work fine if you confine them to a room or two. Anything larger will take too long to clean. They roam around and if I don't confine them with the electronic wall they will run out of juice before finishing.
    Good for pet hair.

xtrema2 likes this.
  4. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    We don’t own a robot vacum.....always had up-rights....so I apologize that I have nothing to offer you on the selection.

But ....I have been married 30 years....and unless x-brand vacum also comes with a bracelet, necklace or pair of ear rings...I would’nt present it as “surprise honey”....I bought you a new vacum.

Just saying.

Genesis 27:3 and ojibwa62 like this.
  5. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N.O.T.W
    BAM!

6. xtrema2

xtrema2 8 pointer

Dec 18, 2005
    henderson
    Hahaha, believe it or not she likes things like that.

7. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N.O.T.W
    Get her a dust pan and new broom, other wise she is gonna sit on the couch eating bon bons and watching daytime TV.. ;):D

Gforcetrivers and xtrema2 like this.
  8. Strutter

Strutter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    USA.
    If you really want to score points, “surprise honey”....I bought US a new vacum.

xtrema2 and ojibwa62 like this.
  9. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    i had a robotic vacuum once. also had a great lawyer that got me out of that situation 30 yrs ago at minimal cost.

Meatstick and JR in KY like this.
  10. JR in KY

JR in KY 10 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    If I ever get another one of those, it will be Fat Messican woman with no papers.

11. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N.O.T.W
    thats good that way you have something to hold over her head if she gets lippy...

12. I got one of the Roomba's about two years ago. Model 690. It is good for cleaning up lint and cat hair. Makes enough noise that I preferred running it when I was not home. The catch is that it will wander around until it gets stuck under a sofa or hangs up on something in the floor. It was pretty smart and would return to its charging/docking station when the battery got low. It only takes one button to turn it on. Came with a electronic laser wall to restrict it from going places you do not want. Changes direction when it bumps into something. One of my wife's cats would climb onto it because her feet were cold and it would turn on the !@#$% thing and here goes the cat riding the Roomba across the room. One day when we were out of town the cat turned it on and it disappeared. We had no clue where it was and only recently found it while moving furniture around to make a repair on the floor. It is not a substitute for a real vacuum and is best only for sprucing up the living room. It is slow and noisy and really needs someone to keep an eye on it for the inevitable hang ups that occur. It needs the floor to be unobstructed and free of all clutter before you activate it. It is great for cleaning a house that is already pretty clean to begin with. If you have pets that shed, it does an OK job of cleaning after them. The dirt storage bin is only about a tea cup in size. Walmart has some that are cheaper but I cannot comment on them.

I read a story of the guy whose puppy got diarrhea and crapped in his floor and then the Roomba which was programmed to run each night at 1:30am proceeded to smear poop all over the house. His 4y old son woke up and walked thru it on the way to his bedroom because he wanted moma and tracked dog poop into their bed. Dad wakes up and smells something and gets up to investigate finding the Roomba busily finger painting the house in brown only. He panics and grabs the Roomba and places it in the bath tub and turns on the shower, completely soaking the expensive robotic device with water while he is vainly attempting to mop up the mess. I am going from memory but it ruined the machine and when he sent it to Roomba for repairs they did fix or replace it under warranty. It was funnier when he told it. It is not the only example of such mayhem. Do a google search for Roomba spreads dog poop and you will find a few examples.

13. timer

timer 8 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    I'd recommend Rosie - from the Jetson's.

14. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    I've had a Neato Botvac for a little over a year now. Paid $200 on Groupon. It's not perfect but it sure helps keep the fur from (orginally 5 before losing Chewbie last month) 4 shedding monsters under control.... As some have said, you kinda need to keep an eye on it for hangups - it can get stuck in the darnedest places - and to empty the dust/fur bin which is nowhere near big enough on any of them. With 2 German and 2 Belgian Shedders, you also have to keep an eye on the roller getting bound up with all the fur. If it stops turning, that sucker will overheat in a hurry! I try to run it every 2-3 days to keep the excess fur controlled - which is a blessing instead of having to haul out the real vacuum that often. We only "really" vacuum about every 2 weeks or so now.... That said, our house is all hardwood or vinyl. Only "carpet" is an area rug in the living room & it does NOT pull the fur out of it very well at all. We have a cheap "Black Friday special" upright that we keep in the linen closet to hit it every few days.