Range finder

Discussion in 'Crossbow Forum' started by brasskeeper, Oct 2, 2016.

1. brasskeeper

brasskeeper 6 pointer

Sep 10, 2002
    Richmond
    This might not be the right forum but i'm interested in rangefinders and any info good ones and what to stay away from. I want to use it for Turkey and deer hunting with a crossbow

2. ancienthunter

ancienthunter 6 pointer

Dec 25, 2011
    Over the Hill
    I have a Bushnell Bowhunter the works well for bow hunting and turkey hunting, wouldn't recommend it for long range shooting. Also have a Bushnell Truth works okay but doesn't pickup black targets so not good for turkeys. Both of these are not very expensive. Nikon and leupold are probably better but more expensive. JMO

brasskeeper likes this.
  3. RackedUP

RackedUP 8 pointer

Oct 30, 2013
    Following. I'm considering upgrading from my old bushnell and would love to hear everyone's opinions as well.

brasskeeper likes this.
  4. Teach Deer

Teach Deer 6 pointer

Aug 4, 2013
    Georgetown
    I am also following...and also considering an upgrade...

I have an "inexpensive" Simmons rangefinder...unfortunately, it is so inconsistent that I really do not trust it...
    That to me is the most important thing...I really want to range the target, adjust my sights for that range (or select the compensating dot), and shoot with total confidence...

5. hoene

hoene Fawn

May 8, 2012

6. hoene

hoene Fawn

May 8, 2012
    I have a bushnell and love it . The only one I would not buy is the wild game inovations

xbokilla and olinla like this.
  7. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    I've got the Halo rangefinders, not a big fan of WGI products but at the time I needed one and that was all uncle lee's had so that's what I got. It's done fine so far.

8. Just bought a Nikon 7i VR a few weeks ago. Haven't used it for hunting yet, but have used it for sighting in my crossbow at multiple distances. Works great. One thing I wish it had that it doesn't is an illuminated display. I would imagine that in low light or with a dark background it might be hard to see the crosshairs and the reading.

jeepndeer likes this.
  9. jblack1

jblack1 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
    which ever one you choose, make sure it takes a 9V battery instead of the CR2 battery, they're expensive and don't last very long.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  10. elkaholic

elkaholic 10 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    I have a Simmons and it is pretty accurate to any distance I am going to shoot including rifle shots.

11. LoneArrow

LoneArrow 6 pointer

Jul 21, 2016
    I picked up a 600 yard Halo last year for less than 100. Tested it against 4 or so others. All read consistent.

12. predator1

predator1 10 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    I've got a Leupold 600 that I've had since 2012, it still has the original Duracell CR2 that it came with....

13. jblack1

jblack1 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
    My bro-in-law had a halo with the cr2 battery and had to replace it several times in one season. My Bresser is 7 years old and o replaced the 9V battery last year for the first time

14. bdbrown66

bdbrown66 6 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    Check out the Sig Sauer Kilo 850.

15. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    rush, ky, USA.
    I have the Leupold 1200i w/ dna . It is very bright and clear .It also calculates trajectory and windage and has bow or gun modes. Very simple setting changes and very accurate.