question....

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by bgkyarcher, Feb 14, 2018.

1. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I was driving along I-65 South Sunday afternoon. About 3-4 miles north of the first BG exit, I saw a yote trotting down the fence line on the state side of the fence. I immediately hit my brakes, and went to the emergency lane. I grabbed my pistol and started to jump out. Then I questioned what I was doing, and just sat and watched the dog continue trotting along... Had I jumped out, moved off the emergency lane into the grass, and fired, would I have been breaking the law?

2. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I’d say yes... inside the fence your still within the right of way of the road.

Which if you had crossed the fence... then you would be trespassing / hunting without permission.

Dark Cloud likes this.
  3. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    That's what I figured. I could have killed that dog easily.

4. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    • No person shall discharge any firearm, bow and arrow, crossbow or other similar device, upon, over or across any public roadway. Hunting is prohibited in highway or interstate medians and rights of way.

5. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    dang yotes should be an exception....

elkaholic and invasion36 like this.
  6. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Had it been a secondary road, I wouldn't have hesitated to jump out and shoot.

7. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 8 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    I chased one around some storage buildings out on Highway 39 in Pulaski County one time while I was in my truck. Was trying to get it to run into the field so I could shoot it. Dang thing ended up crossing 39 and going down a steep ditch. Go figure. I had the same thing in mind that you did.

8. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    While I believe a good yote is a dead one...... I'm not going to shoot a yote or any critter in that situation.

Being.... even on a secondary road... and your legally off the right of way.....you would still be either trespassing or hunting without permission to shoot a yote on someone elses property. In turn... to just jump out and start shooting (especially with a centerfire).... I may not have a clue whats beyond the intended target.

Which I know its easy to let emotions get the better of us at times.... but its just not worth it.

In turn... if we turned this discussion from being a yote to a B&C class buck and we saw someone bail out and start shooting ... we would be burning the phone up trying to report it to a game warden.

9. Bray

Bray 10 pointer

Jan 29, 2002
    The Interwebs
    The question I have is why would you want to pull off interstate, away from home, and shoot a healthy animal? I guess I don't understand the desire. It's kind of like people who swerve to hit opossums, I guess I don't understand.

10. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Uh, cause it’s a yote.

elkaholic and JR PORTER like this.
  11. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    If you ever had lost a calf or chickens to them. Then I guess you would know why. I kill every Yote Possum and Coon I can. Yotes have killed a Calf or 2 for me. Possums and Coons have wiped out my chickens. So if I could kill one even if it isn't on my property. I WILL. I'm saving somebody heart ach and money.

elkaholic, nock and T-wil69 like this.
  12. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    Not to point out the obvious, but that’s like saying deer eat my soybeans so I shoot them where I see them. Even on other people’s property. To save them the heartache of having them damn deer eat their beans too.

13. T-wil69

T-wil69 8 pointer

Jan 16, 2015
    Around here you don’t see coyotes out in fields anymore cause if you do they are dead

JR in KY likes this.
  14. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Different story different situation. Not enough Deer around me to destroy a bean field. But I do know some farmers who have had fields destroyed by Deer. They get with F@W then shoot em down. SEEN it first hand. Then the drag the Deer to the hollow. But most have enough crops to offset the loss Deer eat. Der have destroyed my garden before but I fixed that problem. Different with Yotes Possums and Coons. No matter what you do they find away. Calves out in the field have no protection. Chickens no matter what you do the find away to get them. Trying to compare Deer to these other critters isn't the same. BUT TO YOUR ANSWER many DEER are shot down by Farmers and F@W to thin them out of crop fields. I would never stop and just shoot a Deer on another persons property. NEVER. But have been ask to kill some on peoples property to thin them down.

elkaholic and muddhunter like this.
  15. Bray

Bray 10 pointer

Jan 29, 2002
    The Interwebs
    I've never lost a calf to a coyote despite having cows most my life. I have had them come in to eat the afterbirth or eat a still born calf but haven't lost a live one to them. I completely understand killing them on your farm or hunting for them (I've done both). What I don't understand is pulling off an interstate that's most likely crowded, away from home, and considering pulling out a pistol and shooting at a coyote doing harmless coyote things, for all the world to see.