Question on feeding

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by camclo01, Apr 6, 2019.

1. camclo01

camclo01 6 pointer

Oct 11, 2010
    louisville, KY
    if You are not going to turkey hunt are you allowed to keep feeding the deer year round?

I am trying to increase the protein intake on my deer herd and just got them adjusted to protein pellets so was planning to take turkey season off on my farm to continue feeding but want to make sure I am not breaking laws

Thanks

2. Ben Allgood

Ben Allgood Fawn

Jun 17, 2017
    Weed, KY
    https://fw.ky.gov/Hunt/Pages/Spring-Turkey-Hunting.aspx
    Feeding of Wildlife

From March 1 through May 31, it is illegal to feed wildlife with grain, seed or manufactured animal feed outside the curtilage of the home (the area immediately surrounding a home or group of homes). This regulation does not apply to normal agricultural practices or food plots, or municipal areas not open to legal hunting or trapping.

Genesis 27:3 likes this.
  3. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N/A
    This is the time of year deer are switching diets from carbs to protein. They really need protein, it hasn't fully greened up bucks are going to start growing antlers again and doe will be dropping lactating anx dropping fawns..

Turkey will very seldom eat pelletized deer food.

The term curtilage refers to the immediate land and buildings, such as a shed or barn, that surround a home. Curtilage is the land between the home and the fence, should a fence exist, and is considered private property.

The wording of the law is not specific and a good attorney could shred it.. The way I read is if it is your land it is fenced or private property and you have a home on it you can continue to feed protein pellets .. The problem here is the the law is vague and leaves a lot to individual interpretation.. If it was my land I would continue to feed protein..

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  4. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

And if I turkey hunted next door I would see that you were issued a citation

Meatstick likes this.
  5. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    The key to this whole thing is the word curtilage. That means within close proximity....

Dark Cloud likes this.
  6. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

Yes, and it says "grain, seed, or manufactured feed". Pretty cut and dried to me.

KY Swamp Beagler and Dark Cloud like this.
  7. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N/A
    I will add one more thing and then done , in last 30+ years I have managed several QDMA and trophy leases in GA where we used dedicated deer protein feeders I never got a single pic of turkey eating protein pellets made for deer..

8. Ben Allgood

Ben Allgood Fawn

Jun 17, 2017
    Weed, KY
    Curtilage can be argued differently and has been in Kentucky courts. That may be why the hunting regulations state specifically the area immediately surrounding the home. It's a chance some people take. To some it's worth it, and to some it's not.

ojibwa62 likes this.
  9. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N/A
    And I guess that was the rub for me the state of KY added the "area immediately surrounding the home " But the actual legal definition does not say that..

10. Ben Allgood

Ben Allgood Fawn

Jun 17, 2017
    Weed, KY
    And, the US Supreme Court has also specifically stated that curtilage pertains to areas immediately surrounding the home. It's just a big risk some people have taken and will continue to take.

11. Strutter

Strutter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    USA.
    If you turkey hunted next door, how would you know that the neighbor was doing something on his land that was illegal ?

elkaholic and ojibwa62 like this.
  12. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N/A
    BAM! sorry couldn't resist..

13. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    Or you could just mind your own d@mn business.

He's not hunting turkey's over it, so why do you care? If it doesn't affect your turkey hunting, just leave it alone.

14. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    We all no what the regs mean and that’s not to feed during that time of year unless around your house. Pretty simple. There is always someone that wants to twist the wording to help themselves. Some always think rules don’t apply to them and they are above the law.

15. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 10 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    Can I get a beep beep

ojibwa62 likes this.