Proposed 2019 changes

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Ataulbe1, Dec 7, 2018 at 11:30 AM.

1. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 6 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill/Wolfe County
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2018 at 7:44 AM
    kymuskie likes this.
  2. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Don't sound so bad for the public land draw hunter.

3. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I was hoping they would add another 5 days to the end of the season as doe only

bondhu and barney like this.
  4. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    This. Wouldn't mind seeing a doe only weekend after the late muzzy season, maybe the week between Christmas and New Years, at least for Zone 1 counties, if they really wan the population down.

I'm still perplexed why you can't use a bow in Zone 4 during the firearms seasons.

barney likes this.
  5. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 6 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill/Wolfe County
    I wondered the same thing. I thought it may have been typed wrong, but read the same thing on another site. Makes zero sense to me.

6. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    I think you can hunt with a bow if you want. It’s just that you can’t use the bow to harvest a doe, buck only.

BowOnly likes this.
  7. EastKYHardwoodHunter

EastKYHardwoodHunter Fawn

Mar 4, 2018
    Beattyville
    It specifies does in the zone 4 counties that u cannot take with bows and crossbows. If u hunted a zone 4 u would probably better understand why they r proposing the changes. I hunted 13 days from before rifle season into rifle season and didn’t see the first doe from the treestand. Only had one group of 3 on camera the entire summer.

8. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 6 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill/Wolfe County
    Just seems strange because majority of people won't be using a bow anyways during the time frames. I can't imagine it would make much difference. How many archery does were taken during those particular season?

IMO just adds another layer of confusion to regs that are already confusing the heck out of many people I've talked to.

The argument I could see for it is to prevent someone from blasting a doe with a rifle or muzz and calling it in as archery. Now I could see that being an issue.

dirtstalker and RLWEBB like this.
  9. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    That’s exactly the issue.

BowOnly likes this.
  10. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 8 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    You nailed it.

11. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 6 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill/Wolfe County
    Ok I can wrap my head around that. Just wish they had made the decision when they changed the regs this year. I've talked to people (who aren't idiots) that still think you can take more than 1 doe in zone 3 with a firearm. I'm sure there are similar confusions in zone 4 as well. KISS principle should be the rule when regulating 100,000+ people.

Munson likes this.
  12. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    If they want to help the state out they should open a few more bear hunting opportunities before they really get out of hand. Deer season is fine, maybe an extra doe gun weekend.

Arrow Slinger likes this.
  13. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    Hadn’t thought of that. Makes sense then I guess

14. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 8 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    It says you can't take a doe with a bow, you can still hunt with a bow during those seasons if you wear hunter orange and only take a buck! Does are still legal during regular bow season.

Ataulbe1 likes this.
  15. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I would say someone in F&W noticed a unusual number of doe's being checked in as Archery kill's during firearm season in zone 4 countys and wanted to nip it in the bud before it got way out of hand. I remember Sis who wrote out the permits to hunt Peabody Sinclair mine by TVA at paradise before it became a wildlife area. Said a group would show up each year and she gave them permits. Same guys year after year. One 80 something year old man was in the group. She ask him why would they make the drive all the way from eastern Kentucky to hunt Peabody. Old guy told her we done killed all the deer in our area and come down here to try and kill all of yours. She kept watch on that group and when they pulled out she noticed buzzards circling the campsite area. She took a walk and found IIRC 14 doe's in a gully with only the back straps cut out. Needless to say when they showed back up the next year she told them she had ran out of permits and they were just out of luck for the year. She is not nor ever been anti-hunting as she grew up around a family that hunted and fished every chance they got. Married into a farm family but I don't think her husband hunted. Guess that waste of meat tripped her trigger that year.