Pole barn homes

Discussion in 'D.I.Y.' started by gung, May 18, 2016.

1. gung

gung 8 pointer

Jan 29, 2004
    Graves County
    What's the pros and cons? If anyone has had one anything you would do different?

Capttrae likes this.
  2. Coot_Meurer

Coot_Meurer 10 pointer

Nov 4, 2006
    Not here anymore
    I will also be interested to hear any ideas.

I know one guy with one, and he had three comments. One - use the right trusses to that you get to use all that overhead. Two - windows are critical, and the fitting can be a real issue. Last, he said to make sure you had your layout figured before the slab was poured so that the plumbing and piping was right. Retrofitting (from his experience) involves breaking and repouring concrete

3. Elmotatum

Elmotatum 6 pointer

Sep 23, 2013
    Western Ky
    I helped a friend of mine with his.. He has a 2000sq ft that he got into for $40,000. Granted he had lots of help. Had a family member who's a skilled carpenter. I think that price included his pay though. He went middle of the road on most stuff. Laminate flooring instead of hardwood, linoleum instead of tile. Mid grade cabinets an countertop.. Point is his house is paid for an mine isn't.
    We have several in our county that have been here for 25 years or longer. Their looking fine.. Not sure about a direct tornado hit but a stick built can't take that either.
    Just like a slab home with talking plumbing like they mentioned up in the thread. Walls are studded so everything else is the same. Cost per sq ft goes way down. Wish I built one instead of my brick home!!!

barney likes this.
  4. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Find a standard floor plan you like and go from there.

Capttrae likes this.
  5. ducknbuckhunter

ducknbuckhunter 10 pointer

Aug 3, 2005
    Owensboro/Murray
    I'm getting ready to start one at Nolin lake. 50x100 -50x60 living 50x40 garage/shop. Have the floor plan. Will try to pose details as I go.

nwest and barney like this.
  6. ducknbuckhunter

ducknbuckhunter 10 pointer

Aug 3, 2005
    Owensboro/Murray
    If I could figure out how to post pics without using something like photo bucket I'd post pics of house plan I created

7. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 10 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    I'm thinking of doing this myself. I'd be interested in seeing you guys progress and process, too.

8. Carl

Carl 10 pointer

I was thinking about building a pole barn house but my KY Farm Bureau said they would not insure a pole barn home, a double wide mobile home or a modular home. (Hawesville KY Farm Bureau).

9. davers

davers 10 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Carl, I also have Ky Farm Bureau Homeowners Insurance, but I am changing to State Farm as Kentucky Farm Bureau raised our premium $800 this year. Got a better deal with State Farm on their Home/Auto Insurance. Don't know if State Farm will insure a pole barn home, but it would be worth looking into.

10. Carl

Carl 10 pointer

Thanks for the tip. I just received something in the mail about my earthquake coverage increasing in price but they didn't say how much. Do you have earthquake coverage?

11. davers

davers 10 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    No, but you can add it but it will cost extra. I don't believe my part of Central Kentucky will have a destructive Earthquake anyway. Not had any since living here 9-years. If you live in Western Kentucky or even in S.W. Indiana then I'd spend the extra money for coverage, as they are more likely to have one.

Carl likes this.