Planter Project

Discussion in 'Habitat Improvement' started by Buford, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    My dove field operations have been with an IH 1500 drill, requiring hours and hours of soil prep, not too mention the slightly unreliable population I get with the drill.
    I undertook to try a new path and purchased two Allis no till planters. So far I have taken the tool frame of a two row planter, reversed the long and short bar to set up for four twenty inch rows. I have four 74 units in various stages of disassembly to replace bearings and openers. The closing wheels are not perfect, but replacing these tires is a tremendous undertaking, so I am going to simply use what I have and hope they get the furrow closed.

Parts are on the way and I hope to update as the built progresses.
    Also, the 72 units from the smaller toolbar are in the classifieds if anyone wants to built a two row...
    a1.JPG a2.JPG a3.JPG

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  2. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    That is a lot of. Work.

Could you have just double planted with a 2 row

3. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    The two row was set on 38 inch rows which was too wide for me and the hitch setup negated 30 inch rows unless offset so it was gonna be some work regardless. Also, I wanted the newer style (1975) row units I got from another guy. I enjoy these projects. Most of my equipment I bought cheap in auction condition and either partially or completely rebuilt. When I'm done I'll have another machine I'm confident in and know inside and out. I'm gonna get to spend a bunch of Saturdays in my shop this winter fooling with it and hopefully end up with a real nice 4 row planter I can use until I'm dead-at 5 acres/year.
    I cant wait to simply spray and plant. The wheat sod just required too much time to get disced down to where I could run a non notill drill properly.

4. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Gotcha

You need a set of three bottom plows?

5. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    Gotta pass. Setting up a plow to run right requires experience I don't have. Fortunately I have several neighbors with heavy tillage equipment. When it comes to plowing and ripping I call the professionals.

6. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    IMG_1015.JPG IMG_1017.JPG IMG_1018.JPG IMG_1016.JPG
    Carrying on...New bearings on the drive shafts, new openers and bearings, notice anything missing? broken harbor freight gear puller, no big surprise, and press wheels ready to go to tire shop for new tires. Hoping they're still speaking to me after. Replacing these tires is a nitemare.

7. slicked-it

slicked-it 8 pointer

Oct 20, 2008
    love that your re-purposing and bringing this old steel back to life. A buddy of mine bought a two row planter that had been made from a much larger planter. It's a neat outfit and it works great!!

8. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    IMG_1022.jpg IMG_1021.jpg Removing the old tires today, sawzall, utility knife, ruined tractor supply knife. All ready for the new shoes!
    Unfort, broke a bolt off in inside scraper mount. Then broke extractor off in broken bolt.
    Back to the drawing board.

Attached Files:

9. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    California ky
    Discounting your time are you doing well on costs vs a newer piece of equipment?

10. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    I'm guessing they don't even make 4 row planters any more, but if they did it would likely be $5k+ per row.
    Right now, I've got right at $2500 in this one with all the new parts. $625 per row. It's more than I expected, but with new openers/bearings, new press wheels/bearings, and new coulter bearings, I feel like it's a winner. Should be a 20 year planter.
    Hours and hours discing down that wheat sod was an expensive loser.
    Couldn't drill out the broken extractor. Drilled and tapped a hole next to it, dremeled up the scraper to fit, and voila, back on track.

carnivore likes this.
  11. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    Every dove field in the threads here, and every field I get invited to is planted with a corn planter. I've always used a drill just because I had one and didn't have a planter. Ability to no till, and more accurate seeding was the motivation for this project. A drill just dumps out seed randomly in the slot. Even when the population is reduced, you get clumps. 4 sunflower seeds in 2 inches of slot doesn't get you as good spacing as you get with a real planter.
    You can buy a JD 4 row 7000 series for $5-7000, but it would need work too, and would end up in the 8-10k range after it was refurbed. It would be a better unit by far, but since we're just shooting doves, not farming for real, it seems like the best fit to go with the 1970s Allis gear.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  12. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    IMG_1053.jpg Getting close. Units are together with new tires. I didn't replace the bearings on the coulters after all. Seemed smooth and they have a grease fitting so I thought I'd try that first. There is no real way to get these aligned with coulters until they're in the ground so that adjustment will have to wait.

13. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    Buford heck of a project. That planter will come in very handy. That’s the kind of project I would like to tag along with someone on. Was it necessary to replace the tires or did you just go ahead and knock it out since you had it all broken down?

14. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    Two tires were dry rotted and the other two were kinda wonky from sitting. They probably would have worked for a while, but when this is done I'd like to not have to take apart again. So yeah, it was necessary enough that I decided to replace.
    The coulter bearings are pretty easy to get to without any major wrenching, so I'm gonna give them a try. If they're bad I can replace all four in a couple hours.
    I'm really looking forward to putting this in the ground. My new plates arrived today and I'll be checking population on current sprocket setup.
    Hopefully I don't have to go looking for different sprockets, but if I do I know an Allis guy that has them and he's a joy to visit with.

15. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    526E8991-F3B4-4ACE-9805-17842F10AA73.jpeg Well the population run went ok. Looks like I’m getting a seed every 6 inches. I think I can live with that on 20” rows.
    My allis mentor told me the chains were shot and to order new. I knew better and dropped them in a bucket of old oil for a month. They are as bad today as the day I bought it.
    Lesson learned.