Parking in the Grass

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by B.M. Barrelcooker, Aug 3, 2017.

1. B.M. Barrelcooker

B.M. Barrelcooker 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    Aintry,Ky
    My work takes me all across the state of Kentucky. I drive a lot....a whole lot. From the Mississippi River all the way to the mountains in Pikeville . Weekdays and weekends alike. A lots of times on rural backroads and especially in the evening time I'll see a bunch of cars at one house all parked in the yard. Nice big houses and small houses and trailers.... there isn't any pattern.
    Sometimes I can see the folks sometimes I can't. Generally there are lawn chairs or folding camp chairs and kids running or climbing in trees.Folks just having a visit and enjoying the shade as the sun goes down . Even though I see it often it probably isn't as common as it used to be.
    It takes me back to my childhood and times at my grandparents house in West Kentucky. My Dad would park the station wagon just off the bank gravel driveway and we would hop out and join our cousins.....playing baseball with tobacco sticks and pears or peaches from the trees out back. We would climb on the diesel tank or throw rocks at frogs in the cistern and take turns either pumping or drinking from the well. Then as the sun started to fade we would show up at the carport and under the yellow bug light my grandfather would be slicing a cantelope or a watermelon and Grandma would have some paper towels and a salt shaker for us and a couple of 16 ounce RC cola bottles. Every other car that went by on the road would honk and wave . Some nights we could watch the thunderstorms coming from the southwest and sometimes we could hear the big guns from From Fort Campbell as they sighted in targets on the back range.....but always we could here the bugs....cicada and crickets and everything else that were in the woods and fields. It really was like time stood still back then. I know it didn't but it sure seemed like it. Rolling a smoke with my uncles pipe tobacco seemed like a dam big sin back then .....or worse jumping the fence and dragging a two pound bass out of the neighbors pond.....We always put them in my grandfathers pond but the conquest was so rich we had to feel bad about it.
    It was a simple time and the simple pleasures enthralled and subdued us. We didn't know it but love was all around us. Love and protection......and peace.

That's what I see as I drive these roads. Thousands of houses and lots with cars parked in the grass. Kids running wild and their families locked in casual conversation.....porch swings and camp chairs .....enjoying the breeze and enjoying a summer evening in Kentucky. It makes me want to go home.....It makes me want to go back.

Cape Hillian, just me, gung and 16 others like this.
  2. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    If you've got children or grand children I'd suggest you put the above on paper and squirrel it away somewhere. I think you've captured something there that needs saving. Just my thought...

3. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I remember helping crank on the ice cream bucket late one evening in July 1969 on grandma's front porch. I can still picture the two Adirondack chairs that my dad built for her a couple years earlier.

After eating the ice cream, me and a cousin ran and caught lightning bugs at dusk, while we waited for the moon to come up so we could look for the men that had landed on it.

4. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 8 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    We always had an open door policy at our house, especially in the summer. Family would stop in or the kids on the holler would be down to play basketball. Seems so hard anymore to get even a few people together with everyone so spread out. Heck everyone in my family lived on the same dang holler until I was a teenager. Good times for sure. Memories never die thankfully!!

Cape Hillian and Outdoor_np like this.
  5. Outdoor_np

Outdoor_np Fawn

Nov 24, 2016
    South Central Kentucky
    Well said Barrelcooker, well said

6. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    Brings back a lot of good memories thinking about growing up

7. cedar creek

cedar creek 8 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    I am thankful I saw the tail end of the old days growing up. Definitely sweet memories of family's getting along and working together, things have changed now.

bondhu likes this.
  8. Bladefoot

Bladefoot 6 pointer

Dec 6, 2010
    Goodlow Slough
    I miss those days too. Hay fields, breaking plows, long walks in big woods. Arrow head hunting all day long. Saw logs piled up by the mill. Old pick up trucks, old tractors and hay balers. Squirrel hunting in the Green river bottoms. Bib overalls and bee boxes. Fishing with my little boy. I could go on and on. Thanks for the trip Barrelcooker, Bladefoot

Cape Hillian likes this.
  9. Cape Hillian

Cape Hillian Fawn

Jul 23, 2017
    Hendo
    Great read! Makes you wonder why there's not more of that. When we sit here and look back we all know that's really what's most important but yet we let it slip by day by day. America was based on family and friends and fellowship. It's a shame we've allowed ourselves to let this be threatened. But all we can do is our part and lead by example and hopefully make some sort of a return to what's really important in the end. Family and friends..
    Thanks B.M. excellent post!!

10. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Lots of memory's brought back with that post. Back when kids could be kids and parents didn't need to worry. Everyone knew their neighbors and who's kid you were. My grandfather was the bike repair guy for all the neighborhood kids. Was one gas station in the town he lived in that had a island pump station with a couple lights. All the kids would gather on a summer night and race our bikes around and around that island after they would close for the night. If someone got hurt they just went to grandma's house and got patched up. While grandfather would repair their bike and back at the races they would go. A coal company pond was just beside that gas station, a bullfrog didn't stand a chance if you know what I mean. Some guys (adults) had wooden boats they kept in that pond. Never tied them up and I never heard of one getting stole. Anyone that wanted to fish that pond..and it was full of big bass and bluegill could just hop in one of those boats and have at it. No paddles or oars just a few flat planks to use that laid on the bank near those boats. Life jackets what were they ? Picked many a tater bug off out of the garden for bait. Wasp nest larva also if you were brave enough. That pond is still there but no fishing allowed anymore.
    Hunting was different back then also. Nobody cared you just went. No leases can't remember a no trespassing sign. Seeing a kid with a old single barrel shotgun and one old rabbit dog was normal walking down the road.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    Marsh CallUser and bondhu like this.
  11. TripleGee

TripleGee 12 pointer

Sep 13, 2003
    Somerset
    slammin' screen doors, fresh cut hay, katydids through open windows, exploring the woods and Greasy Creek all day. Hurrying home to granny's at night from my cousin Joe's house on the darkest, scariest most haunted half mile in the world! Frog gigging at night and then frog legs for breakfast at 0430. My first gun a single shot .410 that I became so adept with that i could hit spent .22 casings thrown high into the air. Thanks for the memories